1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Ammonia and Nitrite

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Angle17, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Angle17

Angle17 New Member

Hi :(

:?: I had a problem in my tank since i started my tank up, just over two months ago. Every other couple of weeks i will get high ammonia and nitrite, and i am scared now that my frys will die there are only day old. My ammonia is at 6.0 and nitrite is 1.0.

Please help

2. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

did you cycle your tank before you put your fish in?

3. Angle17

Angle17 New Member

My tank has been cycled when i started my tank up 2 months ago.

4. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

i'm new to this but i think you may be able to have high ammonia from over feeding.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

:shock: Quite frankly, I'm surprised your fish are still alive with levels that high.

What size tank? How many of what fish are in it? What filter do you have? How often & how large are your water changes? Have you done anything with the filter media lately (washed it in tap water or replaced it)?

For the time being, I suggest doing a series of 50% water changes every couple of hours until you can get your ammonia & nitrIte below 1ppm.

-Chelle

6. Angle17

Angle17 New Member

:( One of my frogs has die today. My tank is a 14gallon tank. With 2 goldfish, black widow, 2 guppies, 2 silver tips, 2 swordtails, 1 frog and 17 new fry. I think it maybe cause by the fry this time, i do tend to overfeed sometimes. I have a fuval 3 filter. I have not touch the filter media, but the now i am treating my tank, because i have parasites.

I have tried doing water changes every couple hour the last time, and i was doing it all day and the ammonia and nitrite stayed the same. I done a 50% last night.

:?:

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Wow! Your tank is WAY overstocked and that's what's causing the high ammonia & nitrIte.

2 goldfish (assuming they're fancy, not commons or koi) need at least 20 gallons, but 30 would be much better. For the tetras, guppies, and frog you need to alot at least 2 gallons per fish so that's 12 gallons not counting the fry. And the swordtails need 4 gallons each. So basically to house all those fish (not including the fry) you would need at least a 40 gallon tank. The only solutions would be to either buy another tank or get rid of some fish (I suggest the goldfish).

-Chelle

8. Angle17

Angle17 New Member

You say that its overstocked but my tank looks like there are nothing in it. I have another tank buts that is only 4 gallons i have put 6 of the fry in that.

9. Angle17

Angle17 New Member

You say that its overstocked but my tank looks like there are nothing in it. I have another tank buts that is only 4 gallons i have put 6 of the fry in that.

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

The fact that your ammonia is almost off the scale and your nitrItes are also well into the toxic range indicates that your tank is indeed overstocked. I'm not exagerating when I tell you your fish should all be dead with those levels. BTW, what's your nitrAte reading?

I'm guesing your fish are still pretty young. When stocking a tank you have to consider the adult size of the the fish. Assuming those are fancy goldfish (round bodies) they will get about 8" long and almost as tall & wide. Your tetras & guppies are all going to get about 2" each and your swordtails will be about 4".

-Chelle