1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Another litter on the way...

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by darkrabbit213, Oct 2, 2004.

1. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

As everyone knows, I have 5 kittens, and their mother, Peanut.

As it turns out, Peanut got outside somehow, I picked her up today... and felt two large bulges on her belly...

:roll: Peanut is pregnant again. :roll:

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

might I suggest you have the litter aborted? This poor cat had kittens what 5 weeks ago? And do you really need to take on the expense of more kittens?

3. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

I'm morally against abortion of any kind.

We're planning on letting her give birth and giving the kittens away as soon as we can.

4. nern

nern New Member

I'm sorry but I agree with Mary.....and please don't take offense to what I'm about to say -

Fortunately, cats don't have morals and it would really be in the best interest of Peanut and possibly many other cats for you to have this litter aborted. Accidental litters such as this contribute to the already overpopulated world of unwanted cats and kittens. Further more, how many of these kittens will be born female and how many of the adoptees will end up with accidental litters from the females born to this litter? And it will go on and on.....while thousands of unwanted cats and kittens continue to be euthanized at shelters. In addition, how many of these kittens will end up in permanent, loving homes where they are well taken care of? How many will end up in homes where they are abused, dumped or turned into shelters down the road?

I'm not judging you, I'm just trying to give you something more to think about. You are young and seem like a very caring person. If you continue to help animals in the future, and you seem like the type of person that will, I'm positive that one day you will understand where Mary and I are coming from and you will probably agree.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

5. Rene

Rene New Member

I agree with nern and mary there are way to many unwanted cats and kittens in this world

6. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

you see what we are trying to say Rabbit is when you do take on the responsibility of pethood you need to be a part of the solution rather than a part of the problem - and that is in regards to the problem of overpopulation of unwanted cats and dogs in this country.

This country has too much of the mentality of disposal items....can you say for certain you can guarantee this kittens will go to good homes and be well taken care of? Do you know that each and everyone you give away will be spayed and neutered and be loved and cherished for as long as that pet lives? Will you be prepared to take back a kitten or cat if the person you give it to can no longer take care of it? That's part of the responsiblity. You need to get this momma cat spayed. Since she's had litters just a few months apart she could run into trouble - what happens if her system is so run down she doesn't produce milk? What if she gets really ill and doesn't survive the delivery? So many possibilities. And it's up to you to ensure her wellbeing since you've taken on the responsibility of her care and future.

Don't give cats human attributes when it comes to a pregnancy - they don't see it like we do. They have their kittens, wean them, move on...as a rule they are glad to see the kittens go. It's not really fair to make this cat go through this again so quickly.

I fostered a cat last year that had 2 litters six months apart...and she was sick. Her weighed about 3 pounds cause her system was so run down. Took some time to get her built back up again...poor thing.

Please consider what we are all trying to tell you - I can understand you being against human abortion....but look at the overflowing shelters now, just look at how busy foster homes are for cats - can you say you really want to add to this? Unless you can 100% guarantee this cat will have a healthy pregnancy, healthy labor and be well throughout and you can 100% guarantee the products she produces will have a great, long, loved, happy, cared-for life you shouldn't let her go through with it.

And if you spay her now you won't have to worry about her getting pregnant when this litter is 5 weeks old - just do it and get it done. She'll be happier I'm sure not being a kitten-making machine.

7. vene

vene New Member

8. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

i agree with the above posters as well...

9. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

i do too. but i appreciate your feelings about abortion in general. its a different issue though...between kitties and humans. i like what these posts have said. it makes sense, and seems to be the responsible thing to do....

btw...i like these sayings....

"i reserve the right to change my mind, because i may know more tomorrow than i know today...." and...

"only a fool does not change his mind...."

10. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

My issues with this whole thing is based solely on how far into the pregnancy she is.

Peanut's previous pregnancy laster 9 wks... and it was week 6 or 7 before it showed.

I'm guessing that it is about the same length of time through as it was before, and if those kitties almost ready to be born I could not live with it if they were aborted by this time. I've been putting up posters around my school to see if there would be anyone who would like to adopt a kitten or two, and have gotten quite a few responses. As far as I'm concerned, this is the most humane way I can handle the situation.

I know you all feel strongly about the abortion, but you can't convince me, I'm not going to read the responses to this post from now on.

11. vene

vene New Member

It's ok if we cannot change your views Rabbit. But you need to take on the responsibility of caring for Peanut and all her babes- to make sure they are spayed, neutered and given to only good homes. Right now Peanut needs extra TLC- richer foods and possible vitamin suppliments. She may need emergency vet care. You need to keep that in mind.

12. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

9 weeks (63 days) is the gestation period for cats - how old are her kittens she just had? I thought they were 5 weeks old. I know you said you weren't going to read this but the math doesn't work.

Something you're going to have to bear in mind is if you are going to become a vet you are going to have to deal with the realities of aborting litters of kittens and puppies. Some people, rescues, shelters are going to insist this be done...if you turn down this request you will probably not end up with a large clientele.

13. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

Peanut is 4 wks pregnant, then. I guess this times cycle was different.

14. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

Rabbit, please understand that no one here is trying to repremand you, insult you nor hurt your feelings. The majority of folks here are simply hard core animal advocates and do understand personal financial hardships as well (I'm sure the majority of us aren't exactly well off in that dept).

With that said, I have to chime in with the abortion point of view. And if you can't bring yourself to have it done than I implore you to have Peanut spayed after she delivers (providing that she doesn't fall ill from such untimely pregnancies).

I think what we are all trying to convey to you is that every litter of kittens that is delivered eventually ends up in one of four ways...1)given to friends or families, 2) kept by owner 3)abandoned/dumped roadside to die. Or 3)picked up by an over crowded underfunded shelter (where many are put to death)

From what I've read of your prior posts, this litter has no chance of being 1)given to friends or family because you're still housing the last litter, nor 2)kept by owner since you're struggling still with the first litter and don't have the financial means to care for them much less another litter. The only future I see for this next litter is that they will either be abandoned or turned over to a shelter.

Please also keep in mind that the shelters are already over crowded and under funded. The last thing they need is another crop of kitties dropped on the doorstep. There are far too few people willing to adopt a fur baby as there are babies to be had. The 'left overs' are killed in most cases. Ok, they call it euthenasia but it's still death, and a death sentence for a large population of shelter babies. Every litter of kittens add's to the number of eventual deaths.

I know you're young and this is a HUGE problem and decision for you but it extends beyond you're personal views on abortion.

And each time you decide to not get Peanut spayed and she get's pregnant, YOU and your boyfriend (as pet owners) are responsible for the lives of each of those little babies. And responsiblity includes healthcare.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but that's life. Everything I have said is the truth and is a fact. And I, along with everyone else here aren't trying to attack you, we're just trying to educate you on these harsh realities because they (and I) do care so passonately about our littly furbuddies.

Please know that we do understand your love for these babies. We love them too.

You have every right in the world to not respond or read what people post to your topics. And you of course have the right to not agree. But when you post a topic, expect results LOL

You and your furbabies have my heart and hopes ::hugs::

15. lil96

lil96 New Member

Hi, I am so srry for you having so mayn kittens! And I am sure everyone else here knows your situation better than I (I usually hang out on the dog side), but why wasn'T the cat fixed after she delivered the last litter? If money is a problem there is asticky that list low cost and free places.
    But since you are against abortion I am not going to try to convince you to do, because I could never get an abortion myself nor for an animal of mine, which is why, as soon as I got my animals, I got them desexed!
    But I want to suggest maybe she isn'T pregant, get her checked out by the vet. Maybe she has leftover babies inside from the last pregnancy? (then what happens?)
    Just something else to think about

16. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

PEANUT IS NOT MY CAT. I am not going to go out and spay SOMEONE ELSE'S CAT. Or abort SOMEONE ELSE'S KITTENS. This is what you all fail to understand.

Peanut is NOT mine. The kittens are NOT mine, and the kittens that are on the way are NOT going to be mine. Did you all forget that? I just take care of these cats with everything I have. And I'm probably going to be moved out from where I am right now by the time the next litter is born, we're just waiting for these kittens to be old enough to be away from the mother before we move. AND when we move, we're taking the 5 in the first litter with us. Not to be cruel, but Peanut isn't my cat, and I'm doing everything I can for this first litter. Everything. I didn't eat school lunch all last week because I spent my lunch money on cat litter. I'm saving up to get Lone Wolf, Bruce, Sherbert, Donut and Blaze all spayed, not to get Peanut spayed. It's not my responsibility to take care of all of these kitties on my own, I do love animals, and I do wish that I could take care of my five kittens, and peanut, and my other two cats who don't live with us (Sars and Crackah) and the next litter. I wish I could afford a hundred cats! But that's not the case! Hopefully my boyfriend's brother will take her and get her spayed. I've brought it up to him but he "doesn't have the money" and I'm not going to be the person to give his cat away. Especially because, despite the lack of care he gives to her, he loves Peanut, and he actually loves these kittens. Hopefully he'll be able to care for the next batch and for their mom and we'll take the first five.

I know I said I wasn't going to respond to this thread anymore, but that was in hopes that you people would stop responding to it.

17. lil96

lil96 New Member

I am sorry I din't know it wasn't your cat I am totally out of the loop here, I just thought I would offer some suggestions. Did you take her to the vet to make sure she is pregant? Maybe she isn'T and it is unborn kittens from the last time.
    And I understand you can't afford to take care of all of them, so you really shouldn't take them in. Either make that person take their cat back or if they don't have enough money to take care of it find it a new home, he can't love it so much if he continues to let it have kittens, which I am sure is a paiful process.
    You should not take in 5 kittens when you don't have the money to take care of them. Take them to the humane society and here is a link to the post which offers FREE or LOW COST spaying and neutering since you can't afford to do it: [color=red]http://www.auspet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=179[/color]
    And also skipping your lunch everyday isn't healthy for you, I am sorry to be the one to say it, but these kittens need to find a different home. Loving something does not mean you can take care of it. Love means unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another, and you are being selfish by keeping them and not taking total care of them (I know you are trying, but sometimes trying isn'T good enough) If you loved these kittens you would find them a home where they can get everything they will ever need. I don't mean to sound so mean, but you seem so young, do you realize you will have to take care of these 5 kittens for the next 20 years, you will be almost 40 years old when you no longer have them. Are you ready for that commitment? That is a huge step. Please if you care about these kittens and this cat, take them to someone who can responsibly take care of them.

18. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

maybe you don't know anything about high school. you want to know how much it costs to buy a decent lunch? about $3.00 that is a WASTE of money.

i don't appreciate you trying to tell me what to do, this conversation has been talked over many times. i'm sick and tired of people telling me i can't afford my cats, when i can. i simply can't afford to take care of my cats AND peanut, sars, crackah, and the five new ones coming along. THIS is why, sars lives with my boyfriend's mother, crackah lives with my mother, and i shouldn't have to take care of peanut in the first place. i can, however, afford the kitties. it's only when money is tight that things are hard, but just because something is hard doesn't mean that you should give up on it, especially if you believe that strongly in it. i go to school and work hard, i get very high grades, all a's in fact, and i'm studying to become a vet, actually. i do a lot of extracurricular activites so it'll look better on a college app. and my boyfriend works all day to support us. where we are right now, is only a temporary situation, we're only here to save up money until we can get a place of our own. and by that point, we'll have plenty of money.

AND for your information, seeing as you're a newbie to the cats forum apparently, i have a vet that's already going to give me a dramatically reduced price for spaying and neutering my 5, 5 wk old kittens. And, reduced prices for my vaccinations. Not to mention, I'm going to be having a job once december comes at the ANIMAL SHELTER. Why? Because I'm doing so well in Biotechnology, Health Occupations and the rest of my classes, that I'm elidgible for co-op. Which gets me school credit and an above-minimum wage paying job, with guaranteed 10 hrs of work and pay.

you seem to be very out of the loop. and like a lot of people on these boards are very farmilliar with, i am EXTREMELY defensive of my kittens and get very easily annoyed with people who tell me I can't take care of them. Because I've been doing a very good job raising them.

19. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

I just re-read your post. And I also see that you think I am not ready for a 20 yr commitment? I'm a lot smarter than you think, I know how long cats live, and I'm very well prepared for it. I'd love to see my cats live for 20 years and know they had a good life.

You tell me that you think I cannot responsibly take care of my kittens? What more can I do for them? They have everything they need. Plenty of food -which by the way, is Natural Choice Kitten Chow, dry and wet, or Purina Kitten Chow- and fresh water is constantly provided, there's always someone here to make sure they're ok and don't need anything. Their mother is here, they have plenty of toys, huge scratching post, brand new litter box with clay litter, litter scoops, litter pan liners, and a roof. They have a soft warm bed in a place they love to sleep in. I'm harness training them so they can go outside for walks a couple times a day without the worry of getting run over, stolen etc. They all have ID tags with their names, addresses and phone #'s, and my vet is going to microchip them for free. I have a vet appt. coming up in three weeks for them all to get their first two vaccinations. What more do they need? I love them and take care of all their needs? What's next?

20. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

ya know.. it's sad that so many well meaning posts offering advice and suggestions get such a bad reaction.

i wonder why ppl post questions here at all if they are not prepared to hear what others think- when they asked for comments to begin with....