1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Another strange disease.. anybody heard of this?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Blau_the_cow, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Blau_the_cow

Blau_the_cow New Member

Okay.. here we go again. Last time it was my pleco with the funny marks and stuff, this time its my mollies.

Several of them are beginning to turn black (getting gray patches and black eyes and black lines on their fins. They are all white by the way) This has happened before, and since they came out black when they were born, I thought it was just a camouflaging thing. The ones that turned a darker colour before never had anything wrong, and eventually turned back to white.

Now, this wouldnt be a problem, but since yesterday morning when i saw the first one, 2 more have gone dark and its not just the younger ones either. Has anybody seen this happen before??

If so.. what do I do?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Could be ammonia burn. What are your water parameters (exact numbers, please)?

-Chelle

3. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

yeah I would agree on the ammonia burn, but if the parameters check out... I would say either a fungal infection or black spot disease (parasite)

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Black spot isn't actually a parasite. It's just an odd coloration that happens in when some fish are stressed (I'm not sure if mollies are one of the fish that it occurs in). And a fungus would be fuzzy.

Could you post a pic?

-Chelle

5. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

I'm pretty sure black spot is a parasite... but maybe it is just in saltwater systems... which doesn't help you much... sorry

6. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

yep saltwater disease... just looked it up... but not all fungal infections are "fuzzy" in appearance...

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

There is a "black spot disease" that is somewhat common with parrot cichlids. Many people are under the misconception that it is a parasite or a fungal infection. But it's actually the fish changing colors because it's stressed, or in some cases, just part of the juvenile markings.

I don't recall ever encountering a true fungal infection that wasn't white/grey & fuzzy (and usually on damaged tissue).

-Chelle

8. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

well I know there is a parasite in saltwater fish that is called black spot disease... and it seems from this source that there is one in fresh water too... http://www.aquariumpharm.com/disease/blackspot.html oh and this one too http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/compld ... 041701.htm
    and this one
    http://www.giveusahome.co.uk/fish/faq.htm
    dispite all the controversy... disease is caused by stress and poor water quality when the fish's immune system is supressed, so a question I have for you is what is your water chemistry and how long have you had this tank set up, and have you added new fish to it recently, also remember that there are over 5000 freshwater diseases out there, so it could be something viral too... but I would suggest doing a water change and testing your water

9. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

All of the sources that are being quoted are addressing Black Spot Disease which appear as a distinct cyst or nodule on top of the skin. What Blau_the_cow is describing is a discoloration under the skin, in some cases patchy in appearance and in other cases appears as a line, which is most likely going to be caused by poor water parameters.

10. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

yeah we got a little off subject... I would agree that it probably is poor water conditions... like I said... do a water change. Somehow Chelle thought black spot disease wasn't a parasite...

11. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

In freshwater fish like parrot cichlids, it is NOT a parasite. It is simply a color change that indicates the fish is stressed. And I already stated that I don't know if mollies are like parrots in that reguard.

-Chelle

12. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

well at any rate it sounds as if water quality is the real issue

13. Blau_the_cow

Blau_the_cow New Member

Thanks for the replys guys,

Yeah it would make sense that it was caused by poor water parameters (I know thats bad but I'm doing the best I can right now). My tank is overloaded because my molly fry keep growing (duh..) but I just got a 35 gallon, so I will transfer some of them to that once its up an running which should hopefully be soon.

While I'm on the subject, to cycle my water, Ive heard that you can take some mature filter material out of an already cycled tank and transfer it into the new one. Would this work? because its fish waste, and the point of doing a cycle with fish is to get the waste..right?

14. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Actually, it will help because there's tons of bacteria on the filter media so it will seed the tank.

You could also run the new filter on one of your existing tanks for about 2 weeks then transfer it and some of the fish over to the new tank.

-Chelle

15. sleeper

sleeper New Member

Bacteria does what when?

Hey, I've seen a lot floating around about bacteria being good for tank conditions, and I have this water conditioner that promotes bacteria growth... what is the deal? Is necessary for fish health? How can I check/adjust bacteria levels?

16. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

They're different types of bacteria. There's bacteria living in your filter that helps convert the ammonia your fish produce to nitrIte, then to nitrAte which isn't as toxic (generally referred to as beneficial bacteria). Then there's bacteria that actually causes infections that hurt/kill fish.

Just like there's bacteria involved in making cheese and there's bacteria that causes pneumonia. They're two different type of bacteria.

-Chelle