1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Any advice on taking kittys on a 3 day road trip

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by ChloesMom, Feb 1, 2007.

1. ChloesMom

ChloesMom New Member

My little Texas guys are about to become Northerners. :eek: We are moving from Houston to Pittsburgh. We are going to be taking the fur people with us in the mini van. I would like to let them out of their boxes if possible. We will have a litterbox in the van. I am not too worried about Chloe. She will most likely stick close to the box. It is Alex that has us concerned. He will want to drive. A few people have said, get drugs from the vet but I really hate to do that. It might be OK if it was just one day but no way am I going to keep them drugged for 3 days. I welcome any and all suggestions to make the trip smoother for everyone.

2. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

If it were me, I would get a large crate and confine them. I don't think it's safe for you or the furkids for them to be loose. Like you said, they might try to drive or get under the driver's feet and just imagine what would happen if you were in a wreck.

3. rcrgal31

rcrgal31 New Member

When i moved from MA to NC..i did stop at the rest stop to let jazz use the litter box and eat..but she wouldnt come out of her carrier..but i drove straight thru..it was about 16hrs max...

4. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

you might want some :mrgreen:

5. ChloesMom

ChloesMom New Member

I thought about a larger wire carrier. The shelter here has a store that sells used items. I may go by and see what they have The problem is we are going to be cramped for space. Alex does very well on a leash and is not the least afraid of dogs. He will enjoy the rest stops.

NO doubt. They both carry on the 10 minutes it takes to get to the vet. I can only imagine what 3 days is going to be like.

6. vene

vene New Member

I've been on a 8-9 hour road trip with Pumpkin and Monty and they'd rather be confined. Try the soft carriers that can be seat belted. That might save you on space. How about Bach's remedy? Would that help? All the best of luck to you on the move!

7. ChloesMom

ChloesMom New Member

Thanks for the recommendation Vene. I have not heard about Bach's remedy but will certainly pick some up. We are excited about the move. The poor furbabies will be so confused. We are living in temporary accommodations for a couple of months then plan to buy a house. They won't know what is going on.

8. Chezza

Chezza New Member

LOL Mary.. :lol: :lol:

This was good reading because Iv got 2 kitties as you guys know, and I am looking to relocate this year and was wondering how to go about it, by car its 3 days drive, long hours bout 8 for the first 2 days, and half that the 3rd day...

By flight 2 hours...I wondered about flying, but Jay doesn't even like the sound of the dryer let alone on a plane, theres NO WAY i want to stress him or her out in any way..

9. ChloesMom

ChloesMom New Member

Chezza, I thought of flying them too but I know Chloe would get major stressed and probably come down with a URI. She may be somewhat stressed for that long in the car and hotels but she handles stress much better when her humans are around.

10. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Yea I know what you mean ChloesMom, I know Jay will freak, and I cant bare the thought he would be so scared.. So I think he is going to have to come in the car, we have harnesses for them, so we can get them out and let them stretch and get some fresh air..It may take longer to get there, but they are worth every stop lol.. :lol:

Good luck with it all ChloesMom, let us know how you go..Take care. :)

11. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

When we too Jupiter to my brother (we're in Missouri & He's in northern California), we bought a really large dog kennel and put a small litter box & food & water dishes in there and we also strung up a towel across the back as sort of a hammock. We also got a harness & leash for her so she could get a little exercise. And at night, the hotels let us take her in (even though they didn't allow pets) because we kept her in the kennel.

It was about a 4 day drive (8 - 10 hours/day) and she yelled quite a bit and got a couple bald spots from the harness (we left it on her all the time because we didn't want to fight to put it on her every time we wanted to take her out) but we got her there okay.

Oh, and I HIGHLY recomend getting your cats microchipped before you go if they're not already chipped. It would be awful if they happend to get out along the way somewhere.

-Chelle