1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Any Problem With Changing Filter Insert?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by drab911, Dec 27, 2005.

1. drab911

drab911 New Member

Hey everyone... I have a Hang on Back filter good for up to 20 gallons on my 16 gallon freshwater tank.. It has done great for the past 9 months which it has been running..
    But I just noticed today as I did my water change that the filter seems to be plugged becuase there is water coming out the inlet section more then the outlet... I do rinse my finter once ever 2 weeks in treated water but it doesnt seem to help..
    I have a heavily planted tank so would it affect my biological filter if I change the filter insert.. as there should be plenty of bacteria on the plants and in the gravel.. or is there a procedure I should follow before I change it
    Thanks a lot!

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yes, it will affect your bacteria colonies (yes, there's some on the surfaces in the tank, but the vast majority is in the media). What kind of filter & cartridge is it?

Is there any way you can fit a coarse sponge in the filter with the existing cartridge? If you can do that, you can run the filter with both for a couple weeks then get rid of the cartridge. With the coarse spong, you can clean it out a little more thoroughly and it will last a lot longer. Then, once you get rid of the cartridge, you can add a second coarse sponge and if you ever do have to replace one, you'll still have a backup in there so you won't loose all your bacteria.

-Chelle