1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Any tips on how to give an unwilling rabbit eye drops?

Discussion in 'All other pets' started by Bente, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Bente

Bente New Member

I guess the title pretty much says it all... My rabbit has an eye infection and is supposed to have eye drops 5-6 times a day, I can't even make it two times a day... This rabbit isn't used to being handled at all (I just recently got him) He loves to cuddle, but if I try to lift him up or give him his drops, he goes bananas :| Any tips on how to do it?

[​IMG]

Here he is. As you can see his eye isn't good. He is getting alot better, but I'm afraid it will take too long. And that it may cause other health issues..?

2. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

I'd suggest you have your vet or a vet tech show you how to restrain your bunny. It's not terribly difficult to do, but it's difficult to explain. Much easier to demonstrate.

3. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

You have to be so careful holding bunnies, not only can they easily break their backs, legs when they jump out of your arms but also for your own safety, one of the worst scars I ever got was from a bunny that used my hand as leverage to catapult himself away from me, what I do (now) is get down on the floor with the bunny, get a towel large enough to wrap around and under just leaving his head out (like a bunny burrito) you need to wrap him snuggly but not too tight and keep a secure grip on him, hold him close to you, I used to put them in the towel on my lap with one arm secure around the body, my elbow would prevent them from backing up, and hold them under the chin with my fingers with my thumb round the back of the head/neck so the palm of my hand would be against their shoulder, just make sure the back legs and feet are wrapped well then you should be able to put the eye drops in, it might take 2 people, one to hold and one to put the eye drops in if your not comfortable doing it and try not to take too long doing it, once its done loosen the towel and let him calm down. I would interact with him in between the treatments or he will only associate you with the drama of giving him the meds. I dont know how big an area he has but you dont want to be chasing him for a while he'll get stressed out.

4. BeatrixMom

BeatrixMom New Member

Fortunately I have never had to give Beatrix eye drops. But DeLaUK's advice is good. Buns are surprisingly strong. Bea has the face of a stuffed animal and the heart of the Tasmanian Devil when she doesn't want to do something. Luckily she is not a biter...If you feel apprehensive I am sure your vet could show you how to give your bun the eye drops.

5. Bente

Bente New Member

Thanks for great advice everybody :) I am getting him a vet appointment. I think a full check is in order, I'm worried about his nails and som lumps around his genital area as well. I don't know if it is his testicles (I don't even know if it's a boy or a girl...) Can anybody describe what a male rabbit looks like "down there"?

6. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

On a male rabbit you may notice a few 'lumps' near his gential area. One either side of his penis....your vet can show you when you take him in for a check up. :wink: