1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone have experience with a Yorkipoo?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by rusch1595, Nov 7, 2004.

1. rusch1595

rusch1595 New Member

I know most of you own the Shipoos or the Maltipoos, and I'd love to have either one of those dogs, but I can only find the yorkipoo breeders in my area, and I'm afraid I may have to *settle*. Does anyone know much about this mix? I have three kids, 8 and under, and I want a friendly, outgoing, nonshedding, low barking dog. Do you think the Yorkipoo could fit the bill?

I've also considered the Bichon-Poo mix because I've heard their coat is shorter than the Shi's and the Malti's. But, again, can't find that mix in my area.

Thanks in advance for any help! This is a great board!

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I've never had a Yorkiepoo but I do have a yorkie. He is friendly and outgoing and he is protective of his family, if my mom raises her voice to my sister's it doesn't go over too well with him. He can also get a little snappy when he gets excited.

As far as low barking I've known Rocky to be quite yappy at times.

3. rusch1595

rusch1595 New Member

I'm from Indiana. I think I've found a gagillion sites too. I've been keeping up with our classifieds too in the hopes of finding a rep breeder. I'll keep on looking!

4. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I've seen yorkiepoo mixes and they are adorable too. Theres no reason to feel you are settling. If a shipoo or maltipoo is what you want then keep looking. You can have one flown to you for an additional couple hundred $, no problem. So go ahead and look in the next few states over.

Also want to add, a bichon poodle mix does not nesecarily have shorter hair. Thicker yes, but if you don't clip it, it will be to the floor too. All of these mixes demand to be groomed on a daily basis, or you will have a messed up looking dog. You or your groomer will have to shave him down to the skin and start all over. Grooming is very key to any of these breeds.

5. CaneCorso

CaneCorso New Member

There is no such yorkiepoo

Much Ado About Poo
    Are Cock-a-poo's, Peke-a-poo's and the other poo dogs real breeds?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Rare!” “Exotic!” “One of a Kind!” “Luxury on a Leash!” proclaim the ads in the Sunday pet classifieds. “Get the best of both worlds!” “Registered New Breed!” “Special Price - this week only - $599!”

Curious? Who wouldn't be? Almost everyone wants something different, unusual, something new and exciting, something no one else has. What are these unique, exciting dogs with funny names and high price tags?

Meet the Poo's: Yorkie-Poo's, Cock-a-Poo's, Lhasa-Poo's, Beag-A-Poo's, Peke-A-Poo's, Pom-Poo's, Doxie-Poo's and Terri-Poo's, just to name a few. Meet their cousins, the Cocker-Chons and the Bi-Tzu. This large and incredibly diverse family of dogs includes such “breeds” as Cock-a-Shels and Malt-oodles; everything from the imposing Rott-a-Dor down to the diminutive Peke-A-Pom and Yorki-Huahua. What do these dogs with the whimsical breed names have in common? The fact that they're not real breeds at all. They're mongrels — mixed breeds — masquerading as something glamorous, valuable and highly desirable. Yorkie-Poo's are simply Yorkshire Terriers crossed with Poodles. A Bi-Tzu is a Bichon Frise/Shih Tzu mix. Cock-a-Shels result when Cocker Spaniels are bred to Shelties (Shetland Sheepdogs) and Rott-A-Dors occur when a Rottweiler and a Labrador Retriever join forces. New breeds? Hardly. Behind the hype and the clever name is a common mutt.

Have you ever looked at a Basset Hound and a Poodle or a similarly mis-matched combination and wondered what the puppies would look like if the two were mated? Lots of us have. It makes for an entertaining exercise in imagination. But the people deliberately breeding “Peke-A-Poms” (a cross between a Pekingese and a Pomeranian) and other such fanciful mixes have taken the “what if?” game a step further. Rather than playing games with their imagination, they're playing games with living creatures, charging big prices for their results and telling some pretty tall tales to justify it. Here are some of them:

“We're making a new breed. The AKC is going to recognize the Cocker-Poo real soon now.”
    The process of creating a new breed and achieving AKC recognition is long and involved, requiring many years and many generations. A “breed” is a genetically similar strain of dogs that resemble each other in appearance and temperament. Bred together, two dogs of the same breed will produce puppies that are also similar in appearance to the parents and will develop in a predictable fashion.

The first step in creating a new breed involves a definite vision of what the breed will look like and the writing of a breed standard to describe it. For example, what characteristics must a Yorkie-Poo have in order for it to be considered a Yorkie-Poo? What is a Cocker-Chon or a Peke-A-Pom supposed to look and act like? To date, no breeders of these “new” breeds have even taken that first step.(see note) There has been no agreement among breeders even as to what a Yorkie-Poo is supposed to be other than a cross between a Yorkshire Terrier and a Poodle. After years of mixing these breeds, no two Yorkie-Poos look anything alike; neither are any Peke-A-Poms or Cocker-Chons similar to one another. There has not been any serious effort at all to create a distinct breed that the AKC would recognize.

“We're combining the best of both breeds into one! Shelties shed but Poodles don't. A Shelti-Poo will look like a Sheltie but not shed.”
    Not exactly. Genetics doesn't work that way. Some Shelti-Poos might fit this description but many won't. A breeder can't pick and choose what features will be passed on from each breed — it's strictly a matter of luck because the genetic combinations involved in the crossing of breeds is random and unpredictable. There is just as much of a chance that the puppy will grow up to have the worst characteristics of both breeds! The selection of certain traits is achieved only by generations of careful breeding, discarding dogs that don't have the desired qualities and narrowing the gene pool until the right combinations occur with regularity.

“These Beag-A-Poos are registered with the 'Dogs International Kennel Club'.”
    The word “registered” has a magical effect on people. They seem to think something that's “registered” must be legitimate and valuable. Not so! “Registered” is no more an indication that a dog's breed is legitimate any more than it implies the dog has quality or value. “Registered” simply means “recorded.” Someone has a paid a fee to an agency to record his dog's name in a book and the agency has sent him a certificate saying they did so. There are many canine registries in business today that will register any kind of dog whether it's purebred, mixed breed or even of unknown origin.

The two most long-standing and reputable canine registries are the American Kennel Club and the United Kennel Club. Neither registers mixed breed dogs or dogs of unknown parentage. AMBOR, the American Mixed Breed Obedience Registry, is a reputable organization that registers mixed breeds but only for the purpose of competing in the obedience trials it sponsors.

“The price is so high because they're one of a kind.”
    One of a kind — yes, that's certainly true! Every mixed breed dog, whether bred deliberately or by accident, is one of a kind because its genetic makeup is an unpredictable jumble of characteristics. No two are alike. Does this factor alone justify a high price, higher than what's charged by many reputable breeders of quality purebreds? No way. If “one of a kind” made a dog valuable, every mixed breed dog at the pound would be worth a fortune!

“We have been responsible breeders of Bass-A-Poos for four years.”
    The term “responsible” is getting a lot of mileage these days. Almost every breeder claims to be “responsible.” The dictionary defines responsible as “trustworthy and dependable.” How dependable is a breeder who plays imaginative “what if?” games with his dogs and expects the public to pay for his experiments? How trustworthy is a breeder who deliberately misleads people about the value of a mutt? I think you can answer that question for yourself.

Truly responsible breeders are honest and knowledgeable with a strict code of personal ethics. They care about the puppies they produce and the people who'll buy them. Would a responsible breeder deliberately cross a Basset Hound and a Poodle — dogs with completely different and potentially incompatible physical structures and temperaments? Would they deliberately mix any breeds? No, not when they know the results will be completely unpredictable and that there are already thousands of accidentally-bred mixed breed dogs in need of good homes.

Does this mean that all producers of “Poos” and other mixes are unscrupulous and deceitful? No, many of them are simply ignorant of responsible breeding practices and unaware of what they're really doing. Both the deceitful and the ignorant, though, prey on the ignorance of the public — as long as people don't know the truth about these exotic-sounding dogs, they'll continue to buy them and support this unethical and unnecessary practice.

There's no doubt that mixed breeds like Yorkie-Poos, Malt-oodles, and Bi-Tzus can make wonderful pets. Thousands of people own and love mixed breed dogs of every description. But are these unusual mixes really valuable, unique, “designer dogs”? No, not any more so than the many wonderful mixed breeds available for adoption at the local animal shelter.

Don't be fooled by the whimsical names, the intriguing descriptions, and the high prices! It's just a lot of poo. You can find “designer dogs” of every size, shape, color and personality as close as your local humane society or rescue service and at a far more reasonable cost. Why not visit there first and save a life? You'll be glad you did!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note
    While no club had surfaced at the time the article was written, two clubs have since begun the process of developing the Cocker-Poodle cross as a breed. For more information, see the North American Cockapoo Registry (http://www.cockapoos.com/) and the Cockapoo Club of America (http://www.cockapooclub.com/). As noted in this article, however, the process is long and the requirements for admission to the AKC registry are not easily achieved.

[More on finding a dog]
    Vicki DeGruy

6. Ilovejupie

Ilovejupie New Member

[

Hi, My name is Sam, I am a female by the way. LOL!! I just wanted to say, I have a PooPom, I think she is the most wonderful thing that has happened to me in a long time. I ADORE her. She is sweet, good tempered, & a joy to be around. If you are thinking about a poo breed, look into this one. Good natured with children, just loving anyway you look at it. I wouldn't take a fortune for her. She is here to stay. I also wanted to say that the people that say's she is not a real breed, you are wrong. She is a REAL breed.

7. Ilovejupie

Ilovejupie New Member

Re: There is no such yorkiepoo

I hope someday the PooPom is reconized as a true breed. I know mine is a wonderful dog. I call her my angel. She is very special. If anyone is looking for a good dog, look into this breed. Thank's,
    Sam.

8. sru1924

sru1924 New Member

hello!!! i have a male yorkiepoo that will be a yr in feb. he is so adorable, friendly, lovable, and sweet dog out there. he is a little over 5 lbs. i would never consider have a yorkiepoo as settling.... many of my relatives after meeting this little personality have inquired how to get one. i dont know what the other dogs have to offer that my little bailey doesnt have.... as far as barking he barks when he needs to go out, when playing with my other dog... i would love to talk to u about yorkiepoos if u have any questions... also talking to the breeder will give u a good idea about the breed....

9. Annie_A

Annie_A New Member

Anyone have experience with a Yorkipoo

<<I know most of you own the Shipoos or the Maltipoos, and I'd love to have either one of those dogs, but I can only find the yorkipoo breeders in my area, and I'm afraid I may have to *settle*. Does anyone know much about this mix? I have three kids, 8 and under, and I want a friendly, outgoing, nonshedding, low barking dog. Do you think the Yorkipoo could fit the bill?>>

I have a wonderful year-and-a-half-year-old yorkipoo that I got from friends of mine who have been breeding them for some years, not for money but for love of the mix. He is the perfect dog for me, middle-aged and single, but I would not really recommend him for a family with children as young as yours. He is smart, affectionate, and darling, but I've found that when we visit my sister, whose children are 10, 8 and 5, it has not always been easy. Although he enjoys playing one-on-one with an older child who plays his favorite games with him, he becomes upset, frightened, and even snappy if chased, grabbed, or if children crowd around him. I have to enforce rules about playing with him; only one child at a time, and the 5-year-old only if an adult is right there with her. The two older children have learned how to play with him, with some mentoring and demonstration. Other considerations have to do with safety; he is *so* small (five pounds) that he could easily be hurt roughhousing with a group of children. Also I have to be very careful that he doesn't run outdoors, where there are far too many dangers for him to be exploring on his own, and children tend to leave doors open. I have to be very careful about what he eats because, like many tiny dogs, he has a sensitive gastrointestinal tract, and household with children provides more opportunites for a little dog to eat the Wrong Thing. So while your kids are so young, I really think that what you want is a larger, more easy-going kind of dog than a Yorkipoo.

10. Annie_A

Annie_A New Member

p.s.

Oh, yes, and my yorkipoo is quite the yapper!

11. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Bravo CaneCorso! Well said!

While I know the mixed breeds can be wonderful pets, have delightfull personalities, are a joy to live with and I know we all love them dearly, they are NOT purebred, aka real, breeds. They are mixed breeds, a blending of two or more genetically similar breeds.

Don't be fooled by slick, dishonest advertising. The AKC, UKC, and other breed registries will seldom if ever accept new breeds that are created from mixing already existing breeds. Read the history of the Cesky terrier for an example of how a new breed is created. You don't, and probably never will, see that sort of work done to produce Yorkypoos, Shipoos, etc. It takes research, planning, foresight, great care, greater responsibility, and just plain hard work to create a breed.

I've owned both mixed and purebred dogs. I don't have any preferences, one way or the other, except that with my carefully purchased purebreds, I have a detailed genetic history of my animals and a breeder who is there when I need help, have questions, or just want to shoot the breeze about my passion; dogs. I also have a breeder who will take my dog and give him a loving home should I be unable to care for him. And to me, that's what makes a responsible breeder of any animal. Caring enough to take them back if necessary.