1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Anyway to tell when they are in heat?

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by spindlehead, Jul 7, 2007.

1. spindlehead

spindlehead New Member

Hello,

This may seem silly to some of you but how can I tell when Shyloh is in heat? I am not going to breed her and both of my male dogs are nuetered but my wife really wants to know so we can take precautions.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

2. OklaOutlaw

OklaOutlaw New Member

Most dogs swell up and bleed during their heat cycle.
    I have seen dogs though that had very little swelling/blood, so little that a novice may miss it if not watching closely...

I hope this helps?

3. Sara

Sara New Member

There are times when no outward signs are to be seen and that's what is called a silent heat... Even seasoned folks have a hard time catching those unless they have a dog that has a really set cycle. Usually the boy dogs will be able to tell before you will even if there is bleeding and swelling.

Sara

4. Sara

Sara New Member

There are times when no outward signs are to be seen and that's what is called a silent heat... Even seasoned folks have a hard time catching those unless they have a dog that has a really set cycle. Usually the boy dogs will be able to tell before you will even if there is bleeding and swelling.

Sara

5. spindlehead

spindlehead New Member

Thanks for the replies, I will try to keep an eye on her I guess. Even with my two males being nuetered they will still show unusual interest in her right? Maybe become more aggressive with each other?

Anyway thanks again.

BTW Sara, is your dog an american bulldog? My Shyloh looks alot like that, just curious.

6. Sara

Sara New Member

The dog on my avatar? She's an APBT through and through...little one too...might top out at 40lbs... I have a Boerboel...I suppose she may look a little like an American Bulldog but I don't have any of those.

Your males may become more aggressive to eachother... They may show interest too but it would depend on the dog. I've heard of neutered males not caring a bit and some who do care and take notice... So it's kind of a toss up. How old is your female?

Sara

7. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Even though your male dogs are neutered they will find her attractive even if she is having a silent heat cycle as she will still give off a scent.

Most people do not notice their dog is in heat until they see some droplets of blood on the floor or her bedding.
    The first thing i noticed with my girls when they were due in she would be very maticulate about keeping her vulva area clean that is when i would notice swelling.

How long have the dogs been neutered as less than 6months i would advice to have them boarded somewhere else as it has been known for a newly neutered dog to still impregnate.

Mike

8. spindlehead

spindlehead New Member

Both of my males have been nuetered for 4-5 years, one being 5 years old and the other 4 years old. The female was already 2 years old or thereabouts when I brought her home.

The reason I asked about your dog Sara is that my female looks alot like that one and I am not sure what breed she may be, I thought APBT but I have seen so many that look completely different that she may be something else. Eventually I will be able to post a pic and maybe someone can give me an answer. Thanks alot for all the help everyone, I really like the assistance you offer here.

See ya soon.
    Chris

9. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

I would say that if your dog looks like Bella then she is probably an APBT. Some ABs have more APBT blood in their lines and reseble ABs but only to a certain degree. Is your dog brindle like Bella or solid colored?

If you dog looks like these APBT would be my guess. Can't wait to see pics though.
    [​IMG]
    This is Bella's sis Storm Chaser

[​IMG]
    Bella's sis Rubia

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bella's half sis (same dam) Nediva

[​IMG]
    Bella's sire Champion Twister

If you show us some pics I'm sure we can take a stab at it.