1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Apartment potty training..need help

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by ande95, Aug 17, 2005.

1. ande95

ande95 New Member

Hey everyone, just wanted to say a quick thank you before I even start with my questions. This forum is so full of info it is great. I am a new member and posted in the small breed area, but thought I should just post in here as well :) We just picked up our 8wk old shih poo on Friday...his name is Boomer.

Ok I need to know the best way to go about potty training in an apartment. So far I am just using puppy pads cause I am scared to take Boomer outside to go potty since he is not fully vacinated and not everyone cleans up after their dogs. He is really good about peeing on the pads(although sometimes hits right on the end missing a bit) but the pooping is a little bit diffrent. He did fine the first two days now he doesnt want to poop on the pads. I try to keep an eye on him..when I catch him in the act I rush him over to the pad...but needless to say we dont ussually make it in time and I have to back track to pick up the poop from where it dropped in mid air Smile So if anyone has any ideas about getting him to poop on the pads that would be much appreciated. Also is it going to be a hard transition from puppy pads to going outside once he has had all his shots? We do have a 6yr old red heeler mix that will hopefully help in the training of Boomer.

My next question is how to stop the whinning in the night.... We gate Boomer in our bathroom at night. The door is right across from my bed so he can see me on my bed from the gate. I havent locked him in his crate yet because I know he is gonna have to go pott in the night. Is it better to just put him in the crate next to my bed then if he whines at night take him out to the pad? This whole puppy stage is new to us...we have always had rescued dogs that were usually potty trained. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this long book .
    Any help will definately be Greatly Appreciated!!!

Thanks again

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Hi, I dont know about puppy pads, but I would keep him in the crate at night and when he whines to go take him to his pads, is he about 10 weeks? he will probably need to go a few times, hopefully someone else can chime in that has experience

honeybear

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I have heard that it is quite difficult to switch from puppy pads to going outside, but it can be done. It sounds like you have little choice, though.

At night, if you leave him gated in the bathroom, just ignore him if he whines. Don't EVER go to him. Always wait for him to be quiet before you interact with him, even if he's only quiet for a few seconds. Gradually lengthen the amount of time he has to be quiet for you to notice him. :)

A crate would probably accomplish potty training earlier. Make sure he has room to stand up, turn around, and lie down - that's it! If it's any bigger, he will use one part of it for a bathroom.

He probably will need to be let out every 3-4 hours or so. You can set your alarm at night and take him out at intervals. Or you can wait for him to tell you he has to go. I could usually tell whether my pup was just whining for attention or if she was restless and obviously had to potty. I had her crate right next to my bed so when I put her in at night I could lie in bed and dangle my fingers through the bars for her to lick. She always settled down quite quickly.

You want to make sure he doesn't ever have an accident in the crate. When you take him out to potty in the middle of the night, make it as not-fun as possible. Keep the lights off, take him to his spot, don't let him play or go anywhere else, don't even speak to him (other than telling him good boy when he goes) and as soon as he is done, pop him back in the crate. This way, he learns that night-time potty is for doing business only and is not play time.

The fewer accidents he has now, the faster the whole process will go. You have to bite the bullet and be super-vigilant and inconvenienced (and tired) but it will all pay off in the end.