1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Aquarium Beginner seeking aid!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by bill_lumbergh, May 8, 2004.

1. bill_lumbergh

bill_lumbergh New Member

So, a couple days ago, my girlfriend shows up at my house with an aquarium as a gift for me because I had been so stressed about AP testing. She got it for me because I had been so interested in this blue lobster we saw at petco, and because I obsess over crustaceans in general.

It's 10 gallons, which I hear is a bit too small for the Australian Blue "Lobster"(crayfish?) from petco. However, since I don't play on stocking it with much else, I think it will be okay. We might put 1-2 very small fish inside.

I cleaned the tank, then proceeded to painstakingly fill it with filtered water(I had to fill up a bottle and run it up to the tank again and again to do this). I set up the filter and such, and that's been going for a day or two. I also added the correct amount of the fluid that came with it to eliminate heavy metals etc, though I'm fairly sure the tank water was clear of that anyway due to my water filter.

The only thing is I don't know how to go about caring for the lobster/crayfish, exactly. Feed it sink pellets, dried algae? Can I feed it insects, or cut up worms? are there any fish I can use as prey?! That would be very fun.

If it's possible, what fish COULD I put in there? Saying I only got a couple, that is.

Could anyone give me basic lobster care help?? I'm really a beginner D=

2. J_acon

J_acon New Member

:mrgreen: You are so lucky, such a nice girl. Well i don't know anything about lobsters except that it might not be a good idea to put those very small fish with it. They might end up being crayfish food. :?

3. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

4. fishdude

fishdude New Member

okay, for starters, NO FISH!!! and its a crayfish. you can feed them anything, wether its pellets or scallop peices. i think a 10 gallon is a bit small because they grow to a foot long. also if your going to feed them feeder fish breed your own. buy a group of platies and breed them. then when your going to feed them, stuff them with their favourite food. and dont feed them diseased fish.

5. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

I reckon what you have to do, is put your lobster in and show it a menu and ask it too pick its meals. otherwise it will be your meal!
    hehe.

No, really, not.

The internet holds a lot of info. do a search on it maybe. find out what it likes etc.

in the mean time, read your new lobster a bed time story and then tuck him into bed!. hehe.

6. fishdude

fishdude New Member

look at freshwater shrimp crabs and crayfish. its a great site with good info.