1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Are 2 Dogs better Than 1 ?????

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by pamr61, Jun 24, 2004.

1. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

I'm wondering what the opinion is..... I have this nagging little voice in the back of my head telling me that maybe Rusty needs a sister. But I'm really torn about whether it's a good idea, or if I'm just putting myself in a position to possibly double some problems rahter than help eliminate them.
    Rusty is a great little dog---- I wouldn't give him up for the world. he's a happy,friendly, playful little guy. We take him pretty much everywhere,and give him pretty much the best of everything.
    The only thing I wish I could change, is that when we leave him alone,we have to leave him somewhere confined, which so far has worked out best to be the bathroom. The few times I've tried leaving him alone free to roam the house, he has had huge anxiety problems, and ended up destroying the carpeting by the front door.
    Over the 5 months we've now had him, he has improved.....but I still haven't dared leave him loose in the house, for fear we will return to more major carpet damage. I have also started taking him to daycare 3 days a week because I can't stand leaving him all alone for 8 hours everyday. But that tends to be a bit expensive.
    So what I keep wonder is, would having a companion ease his anxiety of being alone? Or would I then just have 2 dogs eating the carpet instead of 1? I keep thinking that maybe if we had a little bit older, mellow adult dog to stay with him he might do much better and maybe pick up some coping skills from them.
    Has anyone had any experience such as this?

2. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

Come on,you guys!! Help me out here, and tell me what your gut instinct is with this...... I'm finding myself browsing the internet looking at adoptable dogs in our local shelters...... tell me if it would be a mistake or not to get a second dog!?!?

3. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

my personal choice would be to addopt a dog but when doing this take your dog down to the shelter and pick a dog out before introducing the two. then when you have the dog chosen bring out your first dog and see if they like eachother.

4. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I dont know where everyone is today, there has been a lot on this here. Some say then you will have 2 that could be destructive instead of one. As for my 2, theydo not keep eachother compnay, one prefers to spend her days outside while the other likes to be inside. If you think she has SA then I would try towork thru that first.

honeybear

5. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I did exactly what you are thinking of. It could have totally backfired on me too though. If you can get another dog, female preferably, that is a maybe a year older and seems to you to be more calm and confident. It can work. She could be rustys rock while you are at work. Mine are good with each other though they definately will not sleep cozied up to each other. Sasha is the boss.
    Rufus my presumed JRT-bordercollie mix was tearing up the linoleum and scratching the back door. Also climbing up around the windows knocking things down. He would get so freaked out being left alone. I know If I had an open window he would jump out.
    Well lucky for me it worked. They keep each other perfect company.
    Most shelters you can bring the dog back within a weeks time if it doesn't work out too. How hard would that be, very hard.
    I think it can work. We are living proof.

6. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I think its a great idea. One thing to keep in mind is, RUsty needs to feel comfortable first.

I would search the local shelters and take Rusty with you. Let him play with diffrent dogs, and see which one he bonds with the best. Most shelters have a 2-3 day introduction day. Where you can take the dog home and sort of foster him for a few days and see if you like it. If everything works out, you can adopt him/her. If not, you can take it back with no charges.

7. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

It sounds puttin like your situation is very similar.... But like you mentioned, I haven't figured out how to do the "try out" part. I'm pretty sure I would have a near impossible time taking a dog back to a shelter once I was around it for any time at all.
    But like with your case it seems like in the right situation, it could work. I'm on the same idea as you too, I think. I'm thinking a more mature female dog -- one that could sort of be Rusty's leader. It seems like with dogs, the older female usually sort of takes over as the "boss", in my experience. And I'm thinking I should do some reasearch into different breeds, as to which ones are know for being more mellow and have less separation anxiety type problems. What breeds might be the better choices? I'm thinking Jack Russells and Chiuaua's(sp?) are out :lol:

8. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I think Chi's are pretty hyper dogs. Though, poodles and dashounds are pretty good. I would look into a dog that is older, biger and more calm than rusty. Perhaps a senior dog?

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

We also did the same thing, not only for the times when Nala is alone, but also just to have someone for Nala to play with even when we are home because we can't tire her out!!

It has worked out really well for us as well, but we did have one false start with a dog we had to take back to the shelter. It was awful.

With Bonnie we were really lucky. We found a place where they let you take dogs home for the weekend. The idea is that you fill out a detailed sheet about them so they are more likely to get a home - things about their likes, dislikes, what they know, etc.

So, we took Bonnie for a Weekender. I was going to bring her back and get a different dog whenever we had a free weekend, figuring Nala would get to play then and we could get to know a bunch of different dogs. But Bonnie never left. She fit in like she had always been with us, so we ended up adopting her. :)

There ARE difficulties with two dogs - you never know who chewed up what, sometimes they fight even when they get allong 99.9% of the time, feeding can be more complicated, more vet bills, more time for training, etc.

But personally, I have loved it. :)

Jamiya

10. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

The terrier breeds in general are very smart but can be overly sensitive. Poodles are smart they love their humans. You have to be able to groom or able to send them to the groomer at least once a month. When I leave sasha she sometimes gets annoyed and will go lay on the couch and just not look at me. It has worked out well for me. No more scratched up doors. Labs are pretty even tempered. If rusty can be around a dog that is not showing distress from you leaving he will learn to do the same.

11. papillon/mom

papillon/mom New Member

I did the same thing you are thinking I got another dog for my Max because he was home all day, Max was good at home by himself, he had the run of the house and never did anything major (chewed some things but nothing major) anyhow I wanted a friend for him to play w/all day but I was so nervous because Max does not like other dogs coming over, he is very territorial but let me tell you it was the best thing I could have done. I read a little on it and I introduced them on neutral territory (park by our house) then I took Max and my hubby took the little guy and we went home and they hit off from the start they play all the time, they really love the crap out of each other, it is amazing really if you could see them play OMG you would die. Sometimes it is a little difficult though see I do have to confine them when I am not home, they have the kitchen which is fairly large anyhow but they sleep out there or w/me and they are so happy together really for me it was a very good idea. Does Rusty play nice w/other dogs? Hope my advice helped.... :0023:

12. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Pam, you dont want ot get a JRT, they are the most hyper dogs, require tons of exercise/mental attention because of their breed, they dont stop. Think of a dog on speed. Sorry for all your JRT owners, but that is why so many are in shelters because people cant take their activity. Same with border collie types.

honeybear

13. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

How about a mini-dachshund? Want to talk about them, Susan? Or a shi-tsu? Mini poodle would probably be nice. Or whatever cute, smallish dog they currently have in your shelter. :)

Just make sure you have Rusty meet the dog first. They usually have a room at the shelter where you can let them both go. Observe how they interact, how they play together, etc. It really helps if you can have a behaviorist or someone experienced in this sort of thing observe with you.

Jamiya

14. GinaH

GinaH New Member

I am not one to give advice on how many dogs to have because well...I have 5 because I am glutton for punishment and No simply is not in my vocabulary. But for me it all works out we are one big happy family. we have a routine we follow everyday. Pinky& Bluebelle go out to potty together and eat breakfast together and Punkin & Princess do the same at different times And Fancy just goes out with whoever and eats with whoever cause there are no arguments between her and the other dogs.
    They all get supervised playtimes outdoors together twice a day for an hour or two. And they all have roam of the house unless someone is being naughty then they go into their crates. Then of course the dinner routine is the same as breakfast. That is the only time they really have disagreements is when it's chow time. At bedtime everyone has their own crates but since Izzy passed Pinky has taken over her spot beside my bed. She almost refuses to go into her crate at night now. Izzy hated the crate and I never forced her to go in because she was always such a scared dog.
    So she just always slept beside my bed. But I never had to worry about her she would have never gone potty on the floor and I don't think chewing or tearing anything up in the house ever crossed her mind. Darn I miss her so much!

15. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

If you are thinking about getting another dog for Rusty, remember that there is a good chance they will bond very closely, therefore giving you less attention.

My friend had the same feelings as you but as soon as I told her that she backed down. No way was she about to have less attention thrown on her from Jack. That would have broke her heart.

I would suggest a smaller breed, but definately older. This will teach Rusty manners, and she could really be a crutch and a mom when you are not home.

I would not look into a JRT. Their energy level is too high and training is VERY important. I may be a little biast here but perhaps a Boston Terrier? I love this breed!! Even a french Bulldog. Both are very similar. They don't get larger than 28 lbs. and are very friendly. Love walks just as much as they love lounging on the couch. Like all bully dogs, I find French Bulldogs are very easy to train and are very smart.
    There are TONS of rescues on these dogs if you are interested.

No matter what breed you choose or where you go, check their policies first. Many shelters will allow you to bring your dog and have a "play date" on neutral territory to introduce them first. If that goes well, they should let you have an overnight with him/her at your house (maybe even push for a weekend) to see how they get along.

Rusty may just be happy having you. Many dogs don't need doggie companions, just the love and attention from their momma.

Let us know what you decide!!

16. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

No, actually I was being sort of sarcastic when I said a chi or JRT :lol: Rusty has some JRT in him and I think that's part of trouble....he wants to be busy and entertained all of the time, he's very smart and very socialable.
    He gets along well with all dogs, except for some reason, he can't stand bulldogs :0011: Don't know why or where it comes from, but he goes nuts if he sees one!!
    He loves other dogs, in fact the woman that runs the daycare he goes to says he is the little social butterfly of the place....never stops playing. He plays and plays with a dog until it is tired and stops, then goes and finds another one that has rested and is ready to go again. His best two friends there are a sheltie and a newfoundland..... I would love to see what it looks like when little runt Rusty plays with the big huge newfy!
    You guys are all giving me some great input, thanks. I'm going to keep mulling it over for a bit and not rush into anything too quickly. I'd love to keep getting some ideas of breeds that are more calm, if any of you know some others.
    I love the little Papillions--- how is there temperment? And what about Corgi's?

17. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Bonnie is like this. If we had her first, I don't think we would have got a second dog.

Nala is a dog-dog, whereas Bonnie is a person-dog. Nala CRAVES other dogs to play with. She loves us, but she is not a cuddle-bug and she will wave bye-bye if there is another dog to play with.

Bonnie would rather be glued to me than play. Sometimes she stands panting and staring at me while Nala chews on her leg like it's an ear of corn. Poor Bonnie.

I worried a lot about Nala being less bonded to us, but I think it worked out okay. It is something to consider, though, because you never know how it will work out.

And as my husband says, every dog has certain quirks and they are never the same from dog to dog. So with two dogs, there are twice as many quirks to handle. Personally, I think it is more fun that way. :)

Jamiya

18. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

I would vote 2 dogs...

I'm a new dog owner myself, my husband and I have had our two little shih-poos for just over 3 weeks now and I couldn't imagine not having two.

My husband always said that when we finally get dogs, he wanted two ~ myself personally, I only wanted one.

His argument was that they'd be happier together and it will be easier for them to have each other while we are at work all day. I gave in and am SO happy that I did.

Although I still get very sad leaving Molly & Emma when I go to work every morning, I take comfort in knowing they have each other and can play etc. I really don't think that having two is harder than if we had only had one.. it may be double the messes and double the work sometimes but it's also double the fun, double the love, double the kisses!!!

I think both you & Rusty would be happier! I've also read that one dog alone increases the chance of that dog being destructive, but having more than one gives them something else to channel their energy too (just what I've read.. I have no personal experience with only one dog). We keep Molly & Emma confined in the kitchen all day (until they are housebroken) and they haven't chewed anything. Of course, the rug in the kitchen is usually all twisted when we get home but they haven't destroyed anything. They are too busy playing with each other. I'm not sure that I helped, but that's just my opinion on having multiple dogs. I think it's a great idea! Good luck in whatever you decide.

19. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

My aunt has a corgi that is not all bananas. And shelties are awesome dogs, but they can be hyper.

Remember, there is great variation within breeds! One sheltie may be hyper and another calm, for instance.

Jamiya

20. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

I'd say go for dog #2. Rusty looks like the type who would welcome a new sister.

I'm a believer in Karma. Just go to the shelter and you and the right dog will find each other and Rusty.

I think all dogs need a doggie companion.