1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Walmart koi really koi?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Kirk, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Kirk

Kirk New Member

I am not thinking of getting koi, its just that I saw them there for 5.98 and I just cant see how they can be koi (even though they were labelled so).

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

3. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Oh ok, I guess they were koi then.....

4. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Many of the Koi in the states and probably Canada as well, considering Walmart, are Koi/Carp hybrids. Koi are in the Carp family. Some of the distinguishing characteristics of the hybrids are shorter barbels and a more rounded nose. In some cases the barbels are almost missing. If you are wanting show quality Koi they would be best ordered from Japan. Qualities to look for are long barbels, a squared nose, bright coloration without any fading and in the highest quality the color pattern on one side of the body will be mirrored on the other side of the body. For show quality expect to pay quite a bit more than $6 or $7.

5. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Oh for sure, I was just curious. I wouldnt have the kind of housing a koi would need anways.