1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Are they ready to breed?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by zarate, Oct 15, 2004.

1. zarate

zarate New Member

Hi everyone.
    I have just put my male and female together again after separating them (in completely different houses) and am hoping to get some eggs sometime in the near future. But now I've got an even bigger cage to put them in and I can put their nest box up nice and high for them. Do you think this will make them a little more willing to breed? This is a huge cage and it's tall too, so there is plenty of room for the 2 keets, a nest box and babies. As of right now it's just the male and female. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    -Mandi

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi breeding parakeets this time of year can be a problem as if the temp drops then the female can suffer from egg binding which can be fatal.

If your wishing to breed these birds it would be better to wait till febuary march time before giving them the nest this way you get more light and the warmer weather is coming this is the perfect time to breed them.

You will know when they are ready to breed as its the femal that signals breeding and you tell because of her cere the fleshy part above the beak this will turn a very dark brown and usually they start mating a couple of weeks later but in colder weather even though her cere changes she may be reluctant to start breeding till everything is to her liking..

Mike