1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Arm & Hammer cat litter

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by nern, Mar 19, 2004.

1. nern

nern New Member

I decided to try Arm & Hammer cat litter today because it was on sale and I must say that I am impressed with the lack of dust. It claims to be 99% dust free but I guess I found that hard to beleive until I tried it today.

Last week I asked my vet about Feline Pine as I had a few concerns about the pine odors being harmful. She did a search on VIN and only found that it would be dangerous if consumed and since Natalie still some how manages to get her head in the boxes to eat cat poop at every chance she gets I feared it might cause her harm (not that the clay would be much safer for her to ingest). My vet also mentioned that cat litter dust particals were found in a majority of cats lungs in one study....she said in a few years we may start seeing warnings on the labels about this. I think I'm going to stick with the Arm & Hammer for now...it even comes in unscented so there is not that overpowering perfume smell and much less dust for my cats and myself to be breathing in. :mrgreen:

2. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi Nern. I've always thought that all that dust can't be good for our fur animals, but I couldn't get any actual facts on this subject. Glad to know it is a potential problem. Like I've mentioned before I just use Jonny Cat. A lot of people don't love this litter, but it works just fine for me and Handsome. Plus there is no dust from it.

3. nern

nern New Member

Your right, back when I only had one cat I also used Jonny Cat and I don't recall any dust problems with that now that I think of it.
    I really like the clumping litter so I'm glad I was able to find one that is'nt so dusty.

4. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

I'm sure if I had more than one cat I would be out searching for some decent litter.

Off the subject, when will Auspet switch over to only the new forum being available?

5. nern

nern New Member

Within the next few weeks.

6. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

I use arm and hammer for my cat, Gracie. It works really well, only I still have to frequently sweep it up (I have to keep it in the garage!) since Ranger loves his doggy chocolate!

7. footsie

footsie New Member

I've found that the scented arm & hammer litter has much less dust than the unscented.

8. nern

nern New Member

Darn, I wanted to try the unscented next....wonder why its duster? They did'nt have the large boxes of it so I got the scented.

9. nern

nern New Member

Oh and when I was complaining to my vet about the dust she suggested maybe lightly spraying the top of the litter with a spray bottle after I dump it into the box to keep the dust settled. I wonder if this would make it somewhat hard on top if since it is clumping litter? Well she said this before I found the Arm & Hammer so its not as big of concern anymore anyway.

10. wrnoc1

wrnoc1 New Member

I put an ion filter unit in the cat litter room no smells ever GONE. got it on ebay for 45.00.... I cant believe how well it works...

11. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

the Arm & Hammer litter addictive kicks up my allergies so badly - it's the scent of it. I've never seen an unscented version

12. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

what is the best CLUMPING cat litter?....anyone?... remember not to list off any weird names i'm in canada ;)

i'm using this one brand- it's really good clumping wise... but HOLY DUST.

13. vene

vene New Member

I really like Arm & Hammer clumping litter. I also like the Premium Cat Litter they sell at Pet Suplus Store. Not sure if you have those in Canada. I originally used Scoop Away until they switched their formula. The dust was unreal even though the label read 99.9% dust free. Hated the new scent too. But now, I'm sticking with Arm & Hammer. It's cheaper at Walmart. :mrgreen:

14. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

does it clump well tho?...

i cant remember seeing it anywhere... hmm what color is the box/jug thing

15. karen_80

karen_80 New Member

Maxx scoop seems pretty good and really controls odors, especially the multi-cat formula, but only comes in the 'two cat' sized containers. I found after a few days it didn't clump as well, but I've got five of them scratching around in there.
    I'm in an apartment and just take the boxes out on the deck when I refill and let the wind blow the dust away..
    Do those ionizers really work? I've been wondering about them!

16. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

*wrinkles nose* i never liked Max... did nothing for me.. it sucked at clumping too.

from what i've seen sounds like the ionizers work. i've heard of them. they work on a logical scientific principle.

17. vene

vene New Member

18. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

lol vene u are gonna be hereby named the 'link queen' ;)

thank u! yup i dont ever remember seeing that litter around here... i may have to request they order it...

19. karen_80

karen_80 New Member

If you have to order it and it works good, please let me know. I've been using "Kitty Litter Scoop" and I like it okay, but with 6 cats I need something better. :)

20. footsie

footsie New Member

I use arm and hammer.
    I love how well it covers odor. But it costs a lot more than some of the other brands. I ususally get several boxes when it goes on sale and target or walmart.