1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

authority cat food is bad we think

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by daiseyjean76, Mar 2, 2006.

1. daiseyjean76

daiseyjean76 New Member

has anyone ever heard of this food well we tried it on our cats that have been on iams.ever since we switched them gradually to this authority one of my cats has been vomiting clear liquid and i have noticed blood in both of our cats poop.well this morning my female cat went poop and it was runny and bloody.well we took that food away and changed them back to iams indoor formula but i made an appt to take my cats to the vets.it is so ironic that both cats have blood in their poop but only one cat has the runny poop.my husband and i are thinking that the food was bad or something or that it may just be bad food.well i know u aren't suppose to change an animals diet suddenly but in this situation i think it warrented an immediete change.Does anyone know anything bad about this food.i am taking a sample of this food to the vets with me in the morning along with the cats and a poop sample.boy i hope they are ok.the one that is having the more serious problem is almost 10 yrs old and it is hurting me really bad.i couldn't get them in to the vets today because i had to drive 3 hrs away to take my hubby to the airport to fly home cause there was a death in the family so unfortunatly i have to wait.the vet said as long as they are acting fine they should be ok till tomorrow.neither one is running a fever nore acting lethargic and they were starving when i got home from dallas cause we took the bad food away and didn't get the iams till i got home but they ate and seem fine with the iams.i just wanted to get any info about this food if anyone has had any experiences with that food.

thanks in advance

2. faeriedust1127

faeriedust1127 New Member

I have fed Authority before without any issues. It's not my first choice for food, but I'm not a big fan of Iams(I think it's way overpriced for the ingredient content). Every now and then, even good standing pet food company's can have a bad batch go out that they need a recall on. CAll them and find out if this is the case. Also next time try offering some Benebac when you switch foods. It helps with any tummy upsets from the transition.

What you described sounds pretty drastic tho. Maybe some other hidden problem or something really wrong with that batch of food you bought.

Why did you decide to switch them off of Iams so suddenly? If you are shopping at PetSmart, which I assume you are if you are buying Authority brand, may I recommend instead the Blue Buffalo? It's an excellent food if you are willing to splurge a little. IMO the best one they sell at PetSmart.

I hope your babies are feeling better soon!

3. daiseyjean76

daiseyjean76 New Member

i have never seen that food at our petsmart. my hubby wanted to try them on a different food cause their poop stinks so bad when they go,lol.it was against my opinion to change them.if u could see them.they have a soft rabbit fur coat and just beautiful colors on the iams.i did change them over slowly to the authority but when i changed them back to iams today it was quick cause i was afraid that food was hurting them.it is so weird that both of them have some blood in their stool but the older cat has the runs with it and she is throwing up clear liquid ever since we changed them to authority.but i am taking both to the vets in the morning and if they sugest a prescription or a different food i will definitely change cause my animals are my babies too.i got my female cat almost 10 yrs ago when i was pregnant with my daughter so we really have a special bond and it kills me when she gets sick or something.but i know she will be ok,it just really bothered me today.normally my hubby would say oh they will be fine or something but this time he told me do whatever it takes to make sure they are ok and that shocked me cause he is a dog person not a cat person,lol. how can i add a pic of my cats in here??

4. vene

vene New Member

I'm sorry about your kitties. I hope they feel better soon. To post a pic, use Chessmind's instructions:

Hi.

To make an avatar (image below your member name):

1) You need a small pic (around 80X80). If you can make any of your pics this small, just right click on the pic, then click on "properties" and copy the URL address. Then come back here to Auspet. If you can't make your pics small try using www.tinypic.com or www.photobucket.com.

2) Click on your profile. Scroll down to the bottom. You will see "Link To Off-Site Avatar". Paste the URL address here and then click submit.

To post a pic in your post:

1) Go to www.snapfish.com (it's free).

2) Upload your pics.

3) Right click on the pic and then click on "properties" and copy the URL address.

4) Paste the URL address with the "img" tags. You can either click on the "img" tags above or you can type it in. It should look like this:

[​IMG]

5) Then click submit.

Good luck.

5. daiseyjean76

daiseyjean76 New Member

just got back from the vets and they are ok.a parisite called coccidia showed up in their stool sample.they said normally it doesn't cause a problem but sometimes during stress or anything it will bother them.they asked me if the cats were outside cats and i said no i don't believe in havin cats outside as i think that is mean.well they said this parisite is normally found in cats living outdoors.well i figure our kitten probably brought it in our house as my hubby found him outside at work last yr and i got him tested and everything and up to date on shots before i brought him in but that must be where my adult cat got it.so they will be on antibiotics for a week.