1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

baby budgie

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by frejoan, Nov 8, 2004.

1. frejoan

frejoan New Member

I have a budgie egg that hatched this week. The father is a baby I handfed cause the mom was plucking him so took him under my wings. My male is very friendly and loves people so I would like to handfeed his baby but since I'm working I won't be able to feed it every 8 hrs so my question is if I handfeed the baby once or twice a day if the mother will take care of him while I'm at work and if so should I start handfeeding it when it starts growing feathers.

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

:eek: Congrats on your new baby!

3. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

If the parents are feeding the chick without any problems then its best not to interfere, Handfeeding is not the only way to tame your chicks aslong as you handle the chick everyday you will have no problems it coming to you when it becomes a fledgling.

I never hand feed my chicks unless absolutley needed which is usually only when the parents attack the chick and this usually happens when they are wanting to breed again and to stop this you simply remove the nest box.

Males budgies carry on the feeding until the chicks are fully weaned while the female is back in the nest onto her next clutch of eggs.

How old is the parents and is the female your young birds mom?
    How many clutches of eggs has she had?

Mike

4. frejoan

frejoan New Member

My male is 6 yrs old and my female 5. They are both involved with the baby, the male runs to the baby when it starts crying. This is her 3rd clutch in the last 1 1/2 yr and this is without putting the nesting box to get them to mate. Her first clutch no eggs hatch, the 2nd 1 egg hatched but the baby never got on its feets so I believe she just let it die and this last one, 1 egg hatched out of 7. You said to tame the baby, to handle it every day, when should I start handling it?

5. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi i would start handling it from about 1-2weeks of age this way it will reinforce the bond between you and the bird...

Good luck

Mike

6. frejoan

frejoan New Member

Thank you :y_the_best: