1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Baby carrots as treats for Yorkies

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by figgy, Mar 23, 2004.

1. figgy

figgy New Member

Hello again,

This is probably a silly question, but my Yorkies absolutely love baby carrots... How many can I safely give them on a daily basis?

I'm giving them 2 per day, but my "Bam-Bam" seems to want more, he can't get enough of them. I'm guessing it's a pretty healthy treat for them. I usually give it to them during the evening when we're all just relaxing in the family room.

I've started using the baby carrots as training treats for "Bam-Bam" he does really well with them, cut into tiny pieces he is learning "sit-stay"

In the evening He gets 2 whole baby carrots one at a time, can I increase to 4 carrots? :?

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Baby Carrots: Yummy!

Well hello again Figgy!

Rocky loves baby carrots too (must be a Yorkie thing). :mrgreen:

I wouldn't increase them to 4 per day just yet because your pups are still young and their stomach's can get upset quite easily. I did that with Rocky when he was little and he had the runs for a while. I would just go slowly, keep them on 2 for now and as they get older increase the amount of carrots you feed them a little more each week or month (whichever you prefer).

Rocky gets 3- or 4 baby carrots every 2-3 days, he also likes peas (he chases them around the kitchen floor before he eats them), ice (he prefers crushed) and rice mixed with shredded cooked chicken, and pretty much anything else that fits in his mouth!

3. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

Mine love carrots ,I usualy give one a day .But have given them 2 .They love crackers too .Seem not to be able to give our bird one without giving them one too .

4. figgy

figgy New Member

Thanks guys, your responses really helped! As I was reading the thread, I could visualize Rocky chasing the peas around the kitchen floor :lol:

My Pebbles loves to chase and play with her food also, but Bam-Bam kinda gobbles it all up.

I will definitely go slow with the carrots, thanks. By the way, are the peas fresh or frozen?

I never thought of giving them crackers, great idea! 8) Of course, it will be a while before I start them on crackers, but good info, thanks a bunch guys, and have a great day!

5. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

:) I started giving Rocky fresh peas first but them since he likes ice so much I started giving him frozen peas. I think he likes frozen better.

6. bellasmommy

bellasmommy New Member

why don't you try cutting them in half so that they think they are getting more.

7. figgy

figgy New Member

I didn't even think about that, great idea, thanks! :)

8. bellasmommy

bellasmommy New Member

haha yeah. it's the same thing you would do for a small child that wants more of something :wink:

9. Rene

Rene New Member

i never thought of giveing my yorkies carrots i'm going to have to see if they like them. Right now i know they like Kraft singles i dont give them to much of that tho :wink:

How old are your yorkies and what color are they do you have photos?

Sebastain is a black and gold male he is 7lbs and he is 1.5 years and Jasmine is a black and tan female she weighs 4.5lbs and is 1 year i have to find the link in dogster if you want to see photos

I love Yorkies (i also love my rottie cant forget Nala :D )

10. figgy

figgy New Member

Hi Rene,

My babies are almost 4 months now, they were born 12/1/03

Their paper work says Blue & Gold, but they look Black & Gold to me. I guess the coloring noted is @ maturity.

"Pebbles" weighs 3 lbs. & "Bam-Bam" weighs 2.5 She is much bigger than him, and alot more active.

I would love to see pics of Sebastian & Jasmine... I do have pics of mine, but I still haven't figured out how to post it. I guess I'm not very computer literate.

Let me know how they take to the baby carrots :mrgreen:

11. Rene

Rene New Member

Hi figgy here are my babies http://www.dogster.com/dog_page.php?i=17309

i just love the names pebbles and bam bam to cute. the color thing i think does come later altho sebastain is black/gold he is more grey/blonde they are to cute tho also i'm not very computer smart either but dogster was really easy

12. figgy

figgy New Member

OHhhhh my gosh Rene, they are sooo cute!! Nala is a cutie also.

We have an older dog too, her name is Susie ( Terrier mix) she looks like Benji. She was a lost dog, we took in 9 years ago. She's around 11 years old.

Susie is going in for surgery this Friday to have some tumors removed, the Vet said she had to get in A.S.A.P because they spread to her mammary glands.

I'll get some pics together of my Yorkies, and see if I can post like you did. Thanks for sharing, they are adorable! :p

13. Rene

Rene New Member

I'm sorry to hear that figgy i'm sure she will be fine my nala has liver problems and right now her tummy is so bloated they want to drain it i have to make an appt. soon.

Let me know how susie is doing

14. figgy

figgy New Member

Thanks Rene, I dropped her off this morning... I got all choked up :cry: when I left her.

This is the first time she's had to have any surgery, and spend the night alone since we've had her, which is 9 years, she's gonna be so scared tonight.

Definitely set up that appointment for Nala as soon as you can.

I'll keep you posted :(