1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Baby Mollies!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by nightowl, May 3, 2004.

1. nightowl

nightowl New Member

Just came home and found 40-50(who knows-can't count them!) baby mollies! This is in addition to the last bunch-I know there's 20 something of them! I sure hope the fish store will buy some of them when they get bigger. For now-I have to get a bigger tank!

2. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

LUCKYYYYY, i think they will, but they wont pay allot, thats my guess

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I hate to tell you this, but most LFS's won't buy live bearers. It's too easy to breed their own. They may take a few off your hands but if they do by some chance pay you, don't expect more than a few cents each.

-Chelle

4. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

While it's true that the lfs will take some types of fish around here, as Chelle noted, they usually don't buy live bearers.

A friend of mine tried to sell her batch of molly fry to some of our lfs' and after 4 tries at various stores she finaly found one that would take them off of her hands but they offered her next to nothing for them.

They're usually more keen on buying cichlids (they seem to be the "going trend" at my lfs' as they never used to have them before but now they're popping up in all of them) and other fish that are harder to breed.

My closest lfs offers 60% of the selling price (I believe) for most fish. It's worth it to breed fish like yellow labs (they go for about $15 here so you'd get $9) but when you get down to llive bearers they go for about $2.99 and they can get them for much less than $1.75 from most of their suppliers.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

$15? What's that in American currency? Around here they generally go for about $4 for 1" and $6 for 2"+. I have 2 LFS's that buy my yellow labs and I get $1 each for 1" fish plus one LFS give me discounts.

-Chelle

6. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

With an exchange rate of 1.3 $15 Canadian would be about $11.50 American. The ones I bought at PetSmart were $14.99 each and they were about 1.5-2".

I'm always amazed when you guys talk about the price of your fish. I believe it was Hooben (correct me if I'm wrong) who said that the Oscar that someone dropped into his tank at work got sold at the LFS for $30 (I think that was the price). Large Oscars at my LFS go for about $60-$70 while small Oscars go for about $10.99 each and there was a full grown Arrowana there for $4000 but you can get ones around 3-4" for about $10.99.

I guess the prices are so high because they're just starting to bring them in around here. I was there about 5 or 6 months ago and they didn't have any cichlids (not even one) but all of a sudden they had yellow labs, green terrors, convicts, peacocks and many other types.

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

That's about what I paid for my oscars when they were aroung 2 1/2".

Personally I wish fish cost about 3x what they do now. That way people won't be so quick to buy them on impulse and will be more likely to do research and give them proper care. As it is, with fish being so cheap a lot of people have the "It's just a fish. If it dies I'll just go out and buy another one." attitude.

-Chelle

8. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I know what you mean. After a while their little personalities always grow on me. I don't know how people can just not care about their fish, many think that they're just a disposable pet :x . I always get a little sad when a guppy dies or a betta because their so friendly that you get to know each one :cry: (A little teary right now because one of my guppies died last night, my oldest female)

I think most LFS employees feel the same way too (disposable) but there's always this one that always says to me "You do have an aquarium, right?" or "You do know what these are?"(when I buy cichlids) or if I go to buy 2 bettas at once they always say "You know you can't put the two together."

True. Then you would only get people dedicated to their care that would buy them.

I find it horrible that my LFS sells fish to kids that just walk into the store (no parents) and say "I want that fish" with no clue as to what it is, how big it gets or what it eats, they just want it becasue it's pretty or it looks cool. I mean come on, you wouldn't sell a puppy to a kid, why sell them an Oscar?

Ok, now that you've got me going it's time to stop! *Remember... Deep Breaths*

9. J_acon

J_acon New Member

To be frank a lot of people don't have a clue about what is needed to keep a fish. They think the guys can go and life in a bowl with some water and daily food. They never thought about the fish waste, oxygen and the rest.

Can't blame people for that, in fact keeping a dog is much easier than keeping a fish. But people don't look at it that way, they just think My dog only needs a couple of vaccines daily food and walk a from time to time walk and that's it. What could a fish need? and they go get one and poor fish.

As to the prices for the cichlids they sell them are here from 9 to 30 AUD each, and that's depending on the species.

10. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

i think you should avertise the babies i like the friday add or scoop or the equivilant. or sell them to the neighbours or friends.
    I planned to do that with my guppie fry, but theres only four! hehe.

Amy. x