1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Baby snail question? Please help

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Used, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Used

Used New Member

I just looked into my one gallon tank and saw a really tiny baby snail. In my tank I have one ivory snail and two Amano shrimp. I have a few question about what I should do.

1.) Will the shrimp or big snail kill or eat the baby snail, if so should I remove the baby and put it in a small bowl of the tank water.

2.) How many babies do snails have usually will I see more.

3.) Do I feed it something if I put it in a seperate container. What kind of food?

Someone please help. I know most people consider snails pests, but I would love to help this or these snails grow up. :eek:

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

1) I don't think the shrimp or other snails will kill it.

2) Depends on the type of snail. Common pond & ramshorn snails will multiply like crazy and can quickly overrun a tank. Apple snails will lay more eggs at once (100 - 200), but they don't breed as quickly and the eggs are layed above the waterline so if you don't want hundreds of snails, you can easily remove the egg cluster.

3) I just feed my apple snails spirilina. When I had little baby snails, I'd put in a couple pellets and within 5 mintues they'd be completely covered in snails.

-Chelle

3. Used

Used New Member

Well There are no eggs above the water line, but there are little transparent balls under one of my fake plants. The shell on the baby snail is a different shape then the mothers.

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

They're probably the "pest" type snails that will overrun your tank.
    -Chelle