1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

baby zebra finch getting beat up.

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by zarate, Feb 11, 2005.

1. zarate

zarate New Member

I've got a 3 1/2 week old baby zebra finch and the parents started laying another clutch before their first even left the nest for the first time. Now the mother has gotten terribly aggressive, and has plucked the baby quite a bit, so I put more nesting material in there, but it didn't help. So I put the father and a baby in a separate cage together since he was still feeding him and less aggressive towards the baby. A day passed like this, but then the father more less ignorded him other than plucking him, so now I'm stuck with this baby that nobody wants. Is there anything I can do for him? It would really break my heart if he died...I get really attatched to these little guys. Right now I've got him in a small cage without perches, so he remembers to eat instead of perching all the time. I've got his water in a shallow dish as well...on the floor of the cage, and that's also where the food is. I've also got him next to a lamp for warmth. I think he's eating alright, but I still have to give him water in a syringe because I don't think he's drinking enough. Everytime I give him water he perks right up. How can I teach him to drink? I've showed him where his water is...but I'm running out of ideas. Please help!! Thanks in advance for any info, I really appreciate it.
    -Mandi

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi Mandi, Other than giving him water through a syringe there is not much you can do because they learn to eat and drink from there parents you will have to keep teaching where the water is.

Agression towards chicks already in the nest is typical of an eager pair, How long have the eggs been in the nest if its only been a couple of days i know it sounds awful but remove the nest and the eggs and see how they go with the chick not having the nest and eggs should make them pay attention again.

It's more risky giving finch's food and water through a syringe with them being so small but other than removing the nest and eggs you will have to take over the parents role.

Keep him warm what i did when i placed mine in a cage of her own was put a few seeds and EMP egg food on the cage floor for her to pick at once i saw seed husks i knew she was eating ok.
    To know if they are drinking you will notice there seems to be water on the cage floor from where there have flicked the water.

Keep us posted of its progress..

Mike

3. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hiya hows things going with the baby hope all is well.

Mike

4. zarate

zarate New Member

baby finch not good

Hi all,
    unfortunately I lost the baby finch. I'm surprised it held on as long as it did. It was eating ok, but it just wasn't catching onto the water. I now have 3 baby finches in the nest with the same parents as the first baby, there is one more due to hatch, but there is 2 eggs in the nest that won't hatch. I've got a beautiful normal crested male with a fawn female sitting on 4 eggs....I've no idea if there will be another one tomorrow. Then I've got a pied white male with a normal female sitting on 2 eggs, they only laid those 2 eggs, and it's been a few days since the last was laid so I know they are done. As far as my budgie babies, they are doing great! One is very active and quite the handful, and the other is a lot more timid. They are so fun. Thanks for all the info mike. I tried to save my baby finch, but unfortunately I don't have the net at home anymore, so I couldn't get up here to check the forum. We've got a new member of the family now. I've been wanting a chihuahua for the longest time, as I had 2 before, so my husband got me one for valentines day. He helps with the birds. It was too cute. When we brought him home all the birds stopped what they were doing and cocked their heads to look at the new arrival, it was hilarious! I think the birds like the dog...it's cute. Take care!
    -Mandi

5. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Sorry to hear about the baby finch these things happen lets hope the parents do better this time round.
    Great news that the budgies are doing so well and Congratulations on the new arrival i think they are so cute they are such tiny dogs but have the biggest heart.

My baby gerbils are now about 25days old but 2have died in the past few days due to a respiritory problem i was really upset i sat holding the babies crying big softy i am hehehehe.

My finch's are not laying anymore eggs they laid 2 and the male ate them I think he remembers the hard work they had with the other baby and does not want anymore children.

My other birds are now settling down to breed so wont be long before i got eggs from them lot.
    1 Of my cockatiel pairs laid 5eggs but none are fertile bless her all that laying and nothing to show apart from infertile eggs.

Anyway again congratulations and i hope they all give you hours of fun and pleasure..

Take Care
    Mike