1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Babysitting Lab... but I already have 2!!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by petsareawesome, Apr 21, 2005.

1. petsareawesome

petsareawesome New Member

I have 2 labs, Mocha and Ranger. they are brothers, and are very close and Ranger is definately dominant. Clyde, a lab about the same age, is coming to be babysat. when he came to visit, there was a little barking and ranger showed him up a bit, but there was no real fighting. lots of pacing though! I am just concerned that something bad will happen... he is staying for the weekend.

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Can you have them all meet outside on neutral ground? preferably before Clyde stays with you, then when he comes to stay have them meet outside again, hopefully they will end up playing together and all charge into the house at the same time, it might just be a matter of Ranger letting Clyde know this is his territory, and if Clyde abides by the rules it should be okay but if Clyde doesnt abide by the rules you could have a problem. A lot of the time there will be some initial growling, huffing, raised hair, if it goes further it could be just very vocal and pinning down but its risky as it could turn into an all out fight betwen the 2 and theres always the chance that Mocha will join in to 'assist' Ranger.

3. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

One Lab can fill up your life so I can't imagine living with TWO. And three for a weekend should be a workout.
    Before we got Freckles my niece and her husband came for a visit with Reggie their huge balck Lab. Duke, who was only a bit over a year old, and they got along fine but since Duke has matured I am more apprehensive about allowing another dog into his home. I do think there is a territorial protection instinct in most dogs. Introducing the dogs outside first is a good idea. You see very little aggressive behavior at dog parks because it's neutral territory.
    It would be wise to have a backup plan if there are early signs of aggression. Perhaps you could see if a local kennel has room just in case.
    Also remember dogs are quick to pick up on your feelings. If you show any fear or apprehension then the dogs will sense that. Make it as happy and fun party time type greeting as possible.
    Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

4. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I would do as Delauk suggessted and get them to meet and get use to each other on neutral ground first like out front of your house for as long as possible. I would also have a backup plan as suggested and to keep a close eye on them. I have 2 dogs and have had several friends bring their dogs when they come to visit with no problems, would get the usual stare down, check each other outand this is my house at first, but then then all relaxed

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Also, do make sure that even if they seem to be getting along fine that you do NOT leave the three of them unsupervised at any point during the weekend. Also, put away any high value treats or bones or whatever really valued possessions your dogs have. In fact, I might just pick everything up! You don't want them to get in a squabble over protecting their toys or something.

6. petsareawesome

there is still a problem

I had them meet at my house a few days ago, and Ranger was dominant.. blah blah blah but Clyde is coming tommorrow and I am afraid I have no chance for them to meet again on neutral ground. I had the family sit out in the car to see what happened when they weren't around and that is when Ranger was dominant. Mocha didn't care because he just went off to go eat cat food. Another thing- this dog needs a good grooming, but will doing so make Mocha and Ranger mad?

7. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Why do you need to groom him if hes only staying for the weekend? Sometimes bathing a dog will get him all hyped up and there can be some 'excitement' straight after, excitement, depending on the dogs can get a little out of hand and escalate into a 'situation'. Also about meeting on neutral ground, can the owners not get there a little early and meet you outside for to let the dogs get aquainted?.

8. petsareawesome

well i was just going to brush him

i did not want to bathe him, just brush him so he doesn't shed everywhere. i could get them to come early i think.

9. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Just brushing should be okay, all my dogs used to get a bit over excited at bath time, one in particular hated it and would usually pick on one of the others while she was still in her hyped up state. I would just play it by ear and see how the other dogs are after theyve 'settled down' a little, if you have a yard maybe you could take him outside to do it by himself or better if your dogs are pre-occupied with playing or something....saves all the loose flying hair around too :)

10. petsareawesome

11. petsareawesome

thanks to all ya'll!!! Clyde just lft and everything went great! He was no problem at all and the dogs loved him! :D

12. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

:y_the_best: Cool...I was hoping you let us know how it went, glad everything went well for all of you.