1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Back Dandruff

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by footsie, Jun 19, 2004.

1. footsie

footsie New Member

I know there have been tons of posts about this in the past, but I admit to not paying tons of attention since I never had the problem.

Recently, I've been noticing what looks to be dandruf on Footsie, right along his back. If I remember correctly, this is often a food issue. I'm in the process of switching Footsie's food. He is going from science diet Kitten to Nutro Max cat. I know that people here are down on science diet, but I had been waiting to switch untill he would be switching from kitten to cat food. Everything I've read seem to say that nutro is the better food so why would he be having problems now? Could it be that he still needs the extra protien and fat in the kitten food? Maybe I should go to nutro kitten?

He hates to be brushed or zoomed for very long, so I don't know how to control this.

By the way, he seems to really like the nurto food.

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

you could also try adding salmon oil to his food. When I got my last foster, Tony, he had dandruff really bad. I gave him a bath :roll: something I don't ordinarily do to a cat using a really good conditioning shampoo and then added salmon oil to his wet food - he was look'in pretty good when he went home and the woman that brought him to me commented on how good his coat looked in just the 3 weeks I had him.

3. vene

vene New Member

My Monty used to have real bad dandruff. He was on Iams. As soon as I had him on the Wellness food, he had better coat, less dandruff, and more energy. He just seemed happier overall. Since he's a yr old, Footsie should be able to switch to any good adult cat food.

4. Obelix

Obelix New Member

We've always adopted young cats and usaly we've (my parents and I) have found it safe to switch over around 11 months to a year, but then again differnt cats will obviously be able to start sooner/later, good luck !

5. nern

nern New Member

It could be the weather too. Mine had it a few months ago...my dogs had it too. It could also be the change in food but may go away once he is completely switched over to the new food and his body has adjusted to the change.

6. fleafly

fleafly New Member

Nutro shouldn't be the problem. It has fatty acids in it, so those should help keep his coat nice. And he is old enough to be off kitten food.

I would guess it is weather or something else related. One of my cats got bad dandruff, so I started brushing her. When she jumped up to be pet I would grab the brush and brush her back. To her it was almost as good as being pet. It really helped. Try brushing him as much as he will tolerate, maybe the salmon oil like Mary suggested, and you could get a humidifier if you live in a dry climate.

7. VHSJezebel

VHSJezebel New Member

maybe...

I had a cat named Fuzzy, and when she was about 8 months old, she suddenly developed dandruff really bad. I finally had to take her to the vet about it, and he said that it was because she was allergic to flea bites!

The vet gave her a simple shot, kinda like Benadryl, and she never had the problem again.

8. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

ive heard really good things about nutro too. but if it is an allergy...they probably have other symptoms of intestional distress like diarrhea. i was just talking to the vet yesterday about food allergies and told him i had read that an allergy usally shows up on the skin. he said yes and no...it does, but they will most like have stool problems too.

i would think if it is an allergy...it would be skin irritation, not just dandruff. although...i have heard that some foods will make a cats coat dry and dull looking.

i use an enzyme for max that helps him to absorb everything better. i dont know if it helps with their coat or not. it is called proenzyme and i get it at the vet. it is all natural. also a tiny bit of nutrical might help. i think that has omega-3 fatty acids in it, if my memory serves me...

i was also talking to another vet of max's yesterday (he had a crisis) (max has three vets all working together for him now :shock: ) and she has recommended zd for him. even though it is for cats. he is only 5 1/2 months old. she is checking with hills to see if it will be okay. well...she said that she does not always hold with the one year plan for kitten food. she has had a couple kittens in the past that were overweight as kittens and were at risk to become fat cats. so she put them on weight management food when they were kittens, probably six months, and they thrived just fine. i think it is individual. but footsie is around a year old...he should be fine...

let us know...good luck