1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

BACK TO THE E.R. FOR MAXIE....

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by lynnhaz, Jun 13, 2005.

1. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

:m19:
    :( :| so...hes been to emergency twice in a month. vomiting the first time...spent the night there....and again this last friday night.

i got home about 10:30pm. gave him his pill...budesinide which is a steroid that is absorbed only in the intestine, so it is safer than other steroids....and fed the cats. (he is taking the budesinide for the vomiting and possible ibd, since hes had diarrhea for a year and three months.) and he is still on his metronidazole every three days.

the budesinide is working...really well....over the past four to five days, his stools have bee NORMAL NORMAL NORMAL!!!!! :eek: and for those who know maxie...its been a real struggle. chronic diarrhea, multiple times a day, stepping in it....flicking it on the walls, and carpet....completely liquid. tons of tests....i mean....TONS...of tests....medication....etc....

so...i am just beside myself with happiness, and i decide at 11pm to email my vet again....to tell him how happy i am. (i had just sent him an email a few days before updating him on his good progress). so i press "send", then look down to say hi to max, who was laying by my computer chair....and i notice his breathing. very rapid....so rapid i cant count the rate. im like....OMG....FULL OF FEAR....he hadnt been running around either. he was licking his lips like...when they want to throw up....

you guys...i was beside myself. so...long story short. he goes to emergency...xrays okay, pulse okay, temp okay...respiration 79 to panting....which it should be around 40. :shock:

so...i leave him...so they can watch him.

next morning (yesterday) transport him to my vet who is out of town for two weeks... :x the other vet is so nice, dr. georgantas....did tons of test...urine, and blood okay. gave him fluids, oxygen, and barium.

hes totally fine.

okay....HELL--OOO-00....WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT????? :0011: she said to give him his budesinide, that she didnt think it was that. so...i gave it to him last night....hes fine. i dont even have a clue. he even threw up at my vets yesterday. salivating...drooling, then threw up. but i think that was stress....

poor little maxie. its always something..... :( has anyone ever had anything like this happen to their cat?????

2. deb2950

deb2950 New Member

I experienced something similar with raymond

It was I believe after he had his second set of vaccinations.,we were still in the vets office and I had placed him into the carrier. All of the sudden he started shaking and drooling profusely. his mouth was hanging open, it was frigtening to see him like that. They whisked him away and gave him a shot of benadryl. When he had his next set of shots they gave him the benedryl first then kept him to watch for 15 mnutes after he received the injections. They concluded that he was reacting to the stress of the visit. :0011:

3. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

oh how frightening.... :shock:

when otis was alive, he had a reaction to his shots, but he was just very slow...like he was moving in slow motion. he got a shot of cortisone i think....i rushed him to emergency. scared me to death...he never got his shots again after that....but he was an only cat...and only indoors.

btw...nice pic of raymond in the photo contest deb!!! :eek:

4. halaroo

halaroo New Member

Sorry to hear about poor Maxie, Lynn. Give him a big hug from Moe and Artemis!

5. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

Poor Maxie! We're all thinking about him. Hope it wasn't anything serioius.

I still crack up when I see that pic of him in the photo contest with the syringe sticking out of his mouth. May I have your permission to print that out? :D

6. Bente

Bente New Member

I'm so sorry! It must have been very stressful :shock: Hugs to you both, I'll keep my fingers crossed that it won't happen again... :love_y_t_much:

7. nern

nern New Member

Geez...I'm sorry lynn. What a scare and its mind boggling to go through all the tests and find nothing as the cause. Will keep little Max in my thoughts hoping this will be his last ER visit.

8. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Sorry to hear that, I wish you both the best and good luck!

9. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

=P~ absolutely!! lols. heres another one too!!

[​IMG]

he runs to the kitchen when he hears the pill bottle...and he tries to grab my hand when i have the pill in my hand...

i coat it with butter, so im sure that might have something to do with it :wink: :D :eek:

p.s. he took his pill again tonight...so far so good. i have absolutely no idea what caused him to breathe like that :0011:

10. vene

vene New Member

Poor Lynn, Max. Hopefully, Max will settle down and be all healthy for good. :m9: I adore Max's pics. He's too adorable! :mrgreen:

11. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

That would scare me to death! I'm glad he's ok.

Your cats are so lucky to have you as their mom! You take good care of them.