1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Background

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by DonnyBrasco, Sep 14, 2004.

1. DonnyBrasco

DonnyBrasco New Member

If i use normal cement / concrete for a alternative background would it be bad for the fish in the long run. Question 2 can i possibly use Fibreglass ??

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

do u mean as in a wallpaper tpye thing? if so, it wouldnt be bad as lnog as its outside of the tank.

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I seem to recall reading somewhere that concrete is safe after it dries, but don't quote me on that. You may have to coat it with something. And certain types of fiberglass & epoxy resin are safe. Your best bet would be to do a google search for diy backgrounds/tank decorations.

-Chelle

4. DonnyBrasco

DonnyBrasco New Member

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/d ... ground.php

I like that one.

For my african tank I just carved feather rock/pumice. 2 of the pieces I used where at the top of the pile at the landscaping place and got rained on a lot so they sank w/o any problems. The 3rd piece was at the bottom and I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to sink. I would boil it, but it's too big.

-Chelle

6. DonnyBrasco

DonnyBrasco New Member

:) i also like that background but would like to extend the background to include the bottom of the tank with small holes for plants and airstones mmmmmmm :)

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If you ever do it, I'd love to see pics.

The next time I set up an african cichlid tank, I want everything in it to be black so the only color are the fish. My idea for the caves is to take a piece of something like plastic peg board & paint it black. Then somehow attach pieces of black lava rock to it (maybe with stainless steel screws or something) to form caves. That way it will look like the rocks are stacked up, but they'll be a lot more secure. And using lava rock, it will be less weight. One of these days I'll do it.

-Chelle