1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Bad news for my guppies!! :(

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by :o)rosie:o), Mar 31, 2005.

1. :o)rosie:o)

:o)rosie:o) New Member

I came home this afternoon to find my female guppy lying dead on the bottom opf the tank!! :( I dont know what could have happend. The only thing I noticed was that she had been lying underneath the corner filter and hiding quite a bit, but I thought she may have been getting ready to give birth. Has anyone got any ideas of what went wrong??
    Thanx

2. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Could be your water or it could be stress. I think some of my feeder guppy females may have either died from coming from a previously badly kept feeder aquarium or from stress, since they were all pregnant.

3. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

as nameless said it was probably due to stress it might have she might not have been able to give birth

4. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

Do you know about how long she was pregnant for???
    My best guess would be as above, also was she in her own tank since she was pregnant??? Did you buy her pregnant??? what was the quality of the previous lfs or owner???

5. :o)rosie:o)

I've come to believe there is something wrong with the water as when I checked the tank a few hours later the male guppy was dead as well!! Unless they both died from stress there must be somthing horribly wrong with the water. The conditions at the shop were pretty good from what I could see. The water in all the tanks was clear and the tanks that needed to be heated were heated & over all the tanks looked good. That is why I dont think they would have been sick before I bought them home, but you never know. Im going down to my favourite lfs on the weekend and I'm going to get the water tested for everything. I could test the water at home but they can test it for everything and from experience can tell me whats going on better than I can. I dont know how long she was pregnant for & I did buy her pregnant. I bought both of them 4 days ago. She had been sharing a tank with the male. Sorry about all the writing.
    Thanx

6. Nameless

Nameless New Member

What are your water readings?

7. :o)rosie:o)

Went down to the lfs today and got the water tested and everything is fine. The readings are perfect and the water temperature is good. We've decided it must have been the fish. Going to ring the shop we got them from tomorrow and ask if they will replace the fish seeing as they only lived for 3 days. Anyway I'm just glad theres nothing wrong with my tank. I noticed 2 tiny snails in there today, any chance that they will grow up and breed? I wouldn't mind some snails in the tank so long as they dont get out of hand. They probably came into the tank on the plants I bought. Thanx for all your input.

8. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Well perosonally never had a snail problem but from what I hear, those will most definetly grow and breed and you might have a snail overpopulation. I won't worry much about it though. AS said before, I think they guppies died because of stress. Mine used to die of stress or the fact that they did not come from a good place. If they manage to live for two weeks, from my experience with them, chances are they are o.k., hopefully I was helpful.

9. :o)rosie:o)

It may have been stress, but I guess I'll never know exactly. Thanx for your advice