1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Balding Chihuahua???

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Shady_Babygurl, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Shady_Babygurl

Shady_Babygurl New Member

I have a 1 yr old Chihuahua not even 2 lbs. When I got him right before Christmas he already looked like he was sorta bald but I took that he was a apple head Chihuahua for the reason of his balding look. My question is is this normal for such a small dog to have less hair on his head and legs than the rest of his body? He doesnt have a flea problem and no mange so what would be causing this thin hair? The previous owner kept a bandana around his neck alot so I think that is what caused the hair loss from his neck but Im not totally sure. I am fixing to take him to the vet this week but I dont want to look stupid if this is just common is tiny dogs. When he wears some of his custom cloths his hair thins around the spine and back area too but I have kept his jackets off alot lately and it is not happening anymore. Any suggestions or comments on this. Ill attach a pic, and its not the lighting that makes him look bald on it it is indeed his hair.
    http://groups.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?a ... ZQsF3WAMmA

[​IMG]

2. nern

nern New Member

LOL...I love the picture. He is so cute!
    I'm not too sure about the baldness but I don't think its normal.

3. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Its not normal, All chi's I have seen have never been bald. Does he have any mexican hairless or chinese crested breeded into him. I have also heard that the so called apple head chi's(cute as they are) are really just chi's with hyrosefilous(sp) water on the brain. Ask you vet about these things. Could be he needs better nutrition or just has some strange hair growth problem. Let us know what the vet says.
    Also, if he had any crusty sore's it could be mange. But I'm thinking its not that by the looks of him. He is a cute Chi. Is that a boa around his neck?

4. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

MAnge it could be ,but that would be on his other parts by now also and he would scratch alot ...I would think a fungus ...maybe ringworm or another one .Best bet ,Vet Visit for sure !
    Puttin is right ,apple head chi is water on the brain ...
    Mange does not always have crusty sores ,but can cause hair loss fast ,sores are mainly from scratching the parts that itch .Lice can do it too but there wuld belittle nits in the hair ...I would bet fungus ..

5. Shady_Babygurl

Shady_Babygurl New Member

He was checked out by a vew a few months ago completely and the vet said nothing about it. He is VERY small, 1.6 lbs at a yr old. He is full blooded and not mixed as far as I know. He is registered and I have his pedigree so unless some hanky panky he is pure blooded. I dont know about th eapple thing, I just assumed he was one because he is so small and his head looks like a rat lol. That isint a boar, that is the edge of his hoodie. That outfit is hus custom PJ's hes wearing. He has dry flaky skin and itches sum but not alot. It helps when I use alot of condition on him when I bath him but after a week or 2 his skin is dry and dandruffy again. He is on Eukanuba small breed. My bigger dogs eat BARF but Jack it too tiny and I dont think he would like it. He doesnt even like treats and tidbits off my plate. He is strickly a dog food eater. He is very finicky and eats very little and is kinda on the lean side. I had him neutered and hoped he would gain a little weight as most neutered dogs do but no hope. His skin is dry and flaky sometimes but no mange for sure. I will have the vet do a scraping anyway but I think it may be allergies or dandruff. Can dandruff cause hair loss? What are some solutions to dandruff?

Here is a couple more pics of Jack in his cloths.
    Here is some of his cloths and carriers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

<<<<<<<<<<<<SCREEEEEEEEEECH!!!!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    That dog has more outfits than I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

:)
    He's really cute! those pics were adorable, Shady! I'm sorry I'm clueless about your balding problem... I sure hope someone has some insight and info to help you out, tho

7. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

My poodle and I have matching beds. Leopard print. Though she prefers mine over hers. HMM I wonder why? :roll: Nice and warm between hubby and I. I have about four coats for sasha too. Two that I have made myself. You are a great dog owner and its soo obvious you love this little chi.
    Maybe for the dry skin, try adding some oils to the kibble. I've heard of people using olive oil. Heck just lately, Iv'e heard you can put olive oil on your skin as a moisturizer. Maybe you could do that for a dog too. What do you all think about that. Also being that he has no hair, sunscreen should be used.