1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Balding mother, zebra finch

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by zarate, Feb 2, 2005.

1. zarate

zarate New Member

I noticed today that my mother zebra is going bald on the back of her head. She is active and eating fine, but I'm worried because my other zebra finch (one from my cousin, she didn't want it anymore...and it wasn't in tip top shape to begin with, then livened up after I had her awhile) died, and she was going bald too. The one that died, started plucking her feathers to line her nest, then she was weak, so I put her in a small cage and kept her under a heat lamp to keep her warm. She ate and drank, but she still didn't make it. So...I just don't want to lose another bird, especially her cuz she's still caring for her young, and started another clutch, and the cage mate is very bonded to each other. I only see the bald patch in the back of her head. She's not changed at all in her daily routine, or how she does it. Any pointers? Thanks in advance
    -Mandi

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

When the males are eager to breed again even when there is a clutch in the nest they have been known to pluck the feathers of the females and there young.

If There is feathers in her nest chances are the males is plucking her to line the nest if this is the case giving them toilet paper or kitchen paper ripped into strips will help him stop plucking her.

Does she have plenty of calcium in her diet if she is not touching the cuttlefish bone you could do what i do and get the cuttlefish and scrape the soft part off and mix it with her seeds or you can get calcidrops from the vet to put in her water..

Mike

3. zarate

zarate New Member

balding mother zebra finch

Hey Mike,
    I think her baldness is due to what you said, eager to breed. She's getting plenty of cuttlfish as they have this one almost gone. They keep taking it off the side of the cage and pull it all around the cage floor, and they have it all hollowed out, so I believe they are getting enough. The baby has started to leave the nest now during the day, and today the dad was pickin' at the cuttlefish and then the baby started in...it was so cute! I can't wait to see what color it's going to be. Will it be ok to put him/her in it's own cage with no other birds once it's ready and eating on it's own? I don't have any other birds I can put it with, unless I can keep it with the mom and dad and hopefully it won't interfere with the new clutch. I hate to see this one all alone as they are more of a colony bird.

Also the budgies are doing good. One is 10 days old, and the other is 8 days old. They've had their eyes open for a few days now, and boy they are heavier than they look! I've been getting them out once a day so they can start to get used to me. I don't keep them out, I just take them out, check them over and put them back. And in another week or so I'll increase the time I keep them....does that sound alright? Or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for all and any input everyone!

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi my baby finch is eating and drinking for hersef and does not get fed by her parents anymore, So i tried putting her in a cage of her own but i felt sorry for her as she did not like being alone and she looked silly being the only finch in a cage by itself so i have placed her back in with her parents.

My finch's started breeding again a couple of days ago before i removed the nest and the little one did not bother the parents she did not go into the nest.
    The parents slept in the nest at night and the baby slept on a perch just below the nest so i would say that they would not interfere with the next clutch..

Mike