1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

basset hound help please!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by lovemy2puppygirls, Oct 8, 2005.

1. lovemy2puppygirls

lovemy2puppygirls New Member

i need help please!!i have a 3 year old Basset Hound who urinates in the house. but the only time she urinates is at night time. throughout the day she goes outside. and we're not here most of the day and she still goes outside. but when it comes to night time. she'll just find a spot and urinate. my is sooo close to givin her away. and i love her soo much and i don't want her to go, so does anyone know what i can do to get her to go outside before she does have to leave??? thank you (and by the way if ya wanna see her, she is the 2nd link in my signature)

2. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

OMG she is soooooo cute! I love hound dogs!!

But don't give her away! First, make sure that she doesn't have a medical problem such as a UTI. If that checks out ok, it's behavioral--like my weenie dogs' issues. :x Have you changed anything in her schedule?? I'm sure folks will chime in on some good 'ol housebreaking, but we are still working on that here after 9 and 10 years lol--so here's my advice: Crate her. Or at least put her in a space with wee wee pads that you can easily clean. A bathroom with tile or vinyl works well.

I myself left for work this morning in tears :cry: after cleaning up two piles of poop, one doggie pee puddle and a cat pee puddle. All this started about 1am and went until 6:15.

Good Luck! Don't give up on your girl!

3. lil96

lil96 New Member

ok, firs ti want to tell you I opened up one of the links and thought hmm that is NOT a basset hound, where di this picture come from, but then I saw 2 links and the other was the basset hound!
    anyway, I suggeste crating the dog through the night. Also are you 100% positive that she is not peeing during the day? (From what i understand you find a psot in the morning, bbut what if there is a beetr hidden spot that she is peeing in during the day?)
    I think the pee pad things are more of a hassle, especially for a dog who weighs as much as a bassett.

4. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

As coppersmom said I would rule out any medical issues first (if there is a medical problem its unlikely anything you do will stop her peeing) and I also agree with lil about being absolutely sure shes not doing it during the day but you just havent found the spots or she is going over the 'night-time' spots.

Crate training is a great way to go, make sure she goes outside last thing before you go to bed and give her enough time to pee, then she goes in her crate and I would remove her access to water for about 2 hours prior to her going in her crate UNLESS she has a medical problem were she requires water at all times (i.e.diabetic, kidney problems although that could be a whole different issue) or if the temperature is too hot (which at this time of year that shouldnt be a problem). I do sometimes leave ice cubes in a small bowl in a crate though. Then she needs to go outside first thing in the morning when you get up. Dogs generally wont use their sleeping area as a bathroom.

Heres a link with some good basic house-training tips, its says its for a puppy but the methods are the same for all ages.

http://www.poochschool.com/house.htm

You will need to get rid of the urine smells also, once the smell is in carpets etc dogs will want to go back to those same places. There are a couple of good products on the market that break down the enzymes in the urine and actually eliminate it rather than just cover them up were the dogs can still smell it even if we cant. Personally I like Natures Miracle, should be able to get it at any pet store or feed store.