1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Bengal kittens & Meowing

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by darkrabbit213, Mar 23, 2006.

1. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

Hi everyone! It's been a loong time since I've posted! I hope you all remember me! :lol:

So, I recently got a new kitten! His name is Winks and he's 11 wks old. and he's a silver bengal.

But since I brought him home (3 days ago now) he's been constantly meowing! He meows mostly for attention or so I'll play with him, but I play with him all the time... I've noticed that generally all the meowing is for no reason (that I can tell). I'll be sitting with him upstairs petting him and playing with him and he'll walk off to look at something and start meowing. The worst part about this habit is he meows almost all night long (very loudly) so that I can't get to sleep... and I'm getting very sleepy :|

I absolutely love him but I wish I could get a full night's sleep! :roll: Does anyone have any tips on this? I read up on bengals and as far as I can tell it doesn't have anything to do with the breed... I would love any advice!

P.S. I'm going to try to be around more often now! And I'll definately post pics soon of my new kitty!

2. vene

vene New Member

Hi Bunny. It's great to have you back! :love_y_t_much: Congrats on your new addition! :m10: He sounds like he might be missing his litter mates or is a needy child that needs constant attention, or he's just a normal chatty kid! It's common for cats to be up all night as in nature, they hunt at night. Sometimes it takes time for them to adjust to human schedules. As long as he is healthy, you can start training him to play alone at night. Sleep is very important. I recommend that you leave Winks in the bathroom or a separate room when you are ready to go to bed. Just make sure that he has access to plenty of toys, warm bed/s, spots, food and water, litter box, and a night light. Good luck and I can't wait to see his pics! :m7: :qm2: :m27:

http://www.petplace.com/cats/when-your-cat-gets-the-midnight-crazies/page1.aspx

http://www.narfrescue.org/animals/cats/cat_pdfs/lateshow.pdf

http://www.spca.org/site/DocServer/PIC-Why_Does_My_Cat_Talk_So_Much-English.pdf?docID=2701

3. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

Welcome back.

I have Kitters, who is half Bengal.

She is VERY vocal. Actually, she's meowing and climbing up the cat tree right now. She talks to herself all of the time. She meows when I pet her or play with her.

So, some of it may be the breed. It may be even more so if you're little one is confused and searching for littermates.

I don't know if the other Bengal owners on this board have vocal cats. We've talked about the breed, but I just can't remember if we talked about meowing.

Kitters got used to our sleeping hours and no longer keeps us awake. Hopefully things will settle down for you!

I'd love to see a pic of your new addition.

4. vene

vene New Member

Rene, our Bengal does talk, especially when you greet her. She was much chattier as a kitten. Lynnhaz's Max Bengal is a non-stop chatter box, lol. I hope you are catching some Z's! :qm4:

5. Bente

Bente New Member

Great to hear from you again Rabbit :eek: Congrats on the new family addition, I hope he adjusts to your schedule soon... Can't wait to see pictures :y_the_best:

6. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

Well, Winks' meowing has cut down quite a bit! He seems to understand that when we shut the bedroom door it's "quiet time". We used a mini squirt gun on him when he would perch outside the door, meow and scratch and now he knows who's boss haha ;-), I feel bad squirting him but I have to sleep sometime!

He has been having an itching problem though, the vet says it's not mites/ticks/fleas, but she Frontlined him anyway just in case, anybody have good advice on that? I'm thinking it's an allergic reaction to his food, I feed him Nutro MaxCat Gourmet Classics Kitten, it's Roasted Chicken flavor... would he be allergic to the specific flavor or the food in general?

I'll post pics soon! They should be developed by Friday! (which is also rent day wooo hoo :roll: )

7. vene

vene New Member

Maybe the flavor. How about trying a different flavor and see how it goes after 3-7 days?

8. shnen

shnen New Member

I'm not sure what the weather is like where you live - but if its colder out and the heat is on he coul have dry skin. In the Winter I have to put cod liver oil on my kitties food 2-3 times a week to control their dry skin... and hey - they love it!

I can't wait to see pictures!

9. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

I switched his food from Chicken to Turkey and no change, so I guess that wasn't it...

I bought this Pet Relief Anti-Itch spray from my pet store and I've been putting it on him when he's scratching, the itching is definately occuring less and the spray also helps to soothe "hot spots" and heal the skin, so the cut on the back of his head is all healed up.

10. vene

vene New Member

How is Winks doing now?