1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to KILL ants that is COMPLETELY safe for dogs?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by elizavixen, Sep 1, 2006.

1. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

Ok, I moved and the new house I'm living in has ants. Ants in the kitchen (really lovely to find one floating in your milk while you're eating breakfast) and ants all over the yard. Little black ants (the ones in the kitchen) and every other ant known to man in the yard. I hired a antman to kill the ants inside but that was 2 weeks ago and they're still coming. He put out baits, and there is a whole stream of them eating out of the baits. I'm going to have him come back because I think they should be dying by now - or at least tapering off. But the antman didn't do the yard - or at least my landlord isn't going to pay for the yard. So I am looking to put out something that will kill them but that won't hurt the dogs. But it has to WORK. I did buy some poison stuff but that didn't even make a dent in my ant population. My yard is like China of the ant world. I have done some researching and have heard about di..something earth and boric acid? Are these both safe? And do they work? And where might one find them?

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Salt is the best answer you should hear them pop when they stand on it hahah, Or if you can get raid ant killer in either moose or powder form you try and find where the ants are coming from and put it down they then take it back to the nest or even better if you can find the ant hill pour salt down it and leave a trail aswell as the ant killer.

My mum used raid and did no harm to her pets

Or here is a good website scroll down to the ants part

http://www.landofvos.com/articles/clean.html

Mike

3. winnie

winnie New Member

I had an ant/bug problem at my last house, they kept coming in some how and it was so annoying.

So what I did was I locked all my dogs outside with water, and I took Raid and sprayed it around every window sill, doorway and crack. I let it air out the whole day before bringing the dogs in, once i brought them in I sparyed the outside window sills, doorways,around the perimiter of the house,etc.Didnt take long at all. It totally worked too.

I also sprayed along the cracks on the cement around my house since i know ants go in those crack, I was hoping that they would die before even getting into my home.

goodluck, i hate ants.

Also wanted to add, when I was younger i had moved into my first house and there was a major roach problem, totally grossed me out, i didnt know what to do cause I hate killing roachs too. At the time i had a lab/pit mix named Casey and I trained her to kill roachs with her paws and teeth, not eat them, put to carry them outside after she had killed them and disposed of the bodies for me. She was a great dog, very handy.

4. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

5. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

I used to sprinkle cinnamon powder down along the outside of the patio door and along the edge of the house....the ants hate it and wont cross over it....be carefull though, it does stain.

I know with Raid that the antedote (no pun intended) is Atropine so Im thinking that if dogs do lick it up or inhale it then it would cause a low heart rate at least.

6. DMikeM

DMikeM New Member

I use Grants solid ant stakes.
    Grants Kills Ants, are a enclosed bait station that the ants get inside and then bring the poison back to the colony killing off the entire colony in just about a week or so.
    Since the bait is enclosed the dogs just ignore it, so I have them in every corner of the house and behinde the dog food storage container. I get a rush of ants every year but I just run the stakes in hot water and put them back. Then the ants just go away.

Nice info on ant id and control.
    http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7411.html