1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Betta compatible

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Blau_the_cow, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Blau_the_cow

Blau_the_cow New Member

What fish are compatible with a betta in a 10 gallon? Are neon tetras? And how do you sex bettas, other that bright colours or not?

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

bettas are pretty easy to sex.......the male will have bigger fins that seem to flow.....meanwhile thie female will have tiny short fins....and plus, i only think the males can flare

3. Blau_the_cow

Blau_the_cow New Member

Okay thanks. So most of the Bettas seen in stores are males? and are males more agressive towards tankmates, or is the same agression level with femals?

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Avoid fish that are brightly colored or have long fins because the betta might mistake them for another betta. Also avoid fin nippers like tetras and barbs. And keeping gouramis with bettas is a toss up; sometimes they get along, sometimes they don't.

There are some strains/species of bettas where the males also have short fins, but most of the time the ones you see at the LFS will fit the rule of males having long fins and females having short fins. A sure way to tell females from males is mature females will have a white spot on their belly (ovipositor).

Here's a female (you can sort of see the ovipositor just in front of her anal fin)
    [​IMG]

Good tankmates would include cory cats, oto cats, african dwarf frogs, snails, non-fancy guppies, and I believe danios and rasboras will work as well.

-Chelle

5. M_wm

M_wm New Member

T_Chelle said aviod colorful fish! I second that! mine killed like 2 neons and 2 guppys in 2 days! fancy guppy at that :x

6. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

yes, msot commonly seen bettas are males......up until about a year ago, that is all i saw....now im starting to see alot of females showing up at places like petsmart.

7. tski22

tski22 New Member

this isnt advice that i would want anyone to like follow by but my male beta is very strange. he is in a tank with gouramis and angels and he is friendly towars other fish in the tank.. normally bettas will try to attack long finned fish as quoted by chelle earlier.. gouramis/angels etc.. anyone have any idea about my friendly beta.. -tl

8. M_wm

M_wm New Member

You just got a friendly one I guess.

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Actually, I used to have a male betta like that too. I kept him with fancy guppies and he never bothered anyone. He never even flared at his reflection. I always thought that if I could find another male betta with the same personality, they'd get along fine.

But my betta and yours are both pretty rare exceptions.

-Chelle

10. tski22

tski22 New Member

i guess so kinda of a cool thing to see him with the kind of fish he is with.
    -tl

11. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

my fin nipping fish never touched my betta, but i bred some really fancy guppies, and the neons are shreading their tales, its took them about 3weeks to guess they could eat the guppies fins tho