1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Betta Fish

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by swtnpink, Jun 29, 2004.

1. swtnpink

swtnpink New Member

i was wondering how big of a container you should put a betta fish in... and if you guys think it's wrong to "train" your fish to fight other fishes by making it more aggressive and sticking it with a pencil and have it "fight" the pencil.... :x

2. Popeye

Popeye New Member

stick your fish with a pencil....if you think thats right, maybe you should get out of the hobby & take up chewing on glass or something... thats messed up. fighting bettas is just plain wrong, they have a natural instinct & folks use that for their entertainment, usually resulting in the death of a very cool fish. I would probalbly stick a pencil in the back of whoever I saw doing that & then ask them how it feels.

3. swtnpink

swtnpink New Member

THANK YOU! My boyfriend is planning to get a betta fish when I get my fishes for my tank and he's planning to keep it in a BOWL! Not even a GALLON!

He's already making bets with his friends that his fish could beat up their's!!! I'm so angry at him! Then he tells me I'm over reacting and that he takes good care of his fish! I didn't think sticking pencils at your fish and making it fight other fishes to near death is taking good care of your fish :x ARG, I'm still so very angry! :cry:

So I posted this to show him that it's not right and that I'm not the only one who thinks that. (sigh)

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If that's how he plans on treating fish, he doesn't need to have them. That's plain & simple cruelty.

-Chelle

5. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Yeah thats pretty evil and cruel, I actually took one of my friends betta (shame on me) becuase he had it in a coffee mug... their was tons of poop on the bottom and his tail and head were squished on both ends.

6. stefan

stefan New Member

i have a very old betta living in a community tank of 75 gallons. He is doing oke and still hunts around other fish but he is no danger to the other fish.

7. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

perhaps you should tell your boyfriend that he'd end up killing it before he got to fight it (which i am also aposed to)

the stress of poking him with pencils, will, eventually stress him to death.

If my boyfriend was to do that, id be tempted to poke him witha pencil when he is sleeping and pretty much all day randomly to see how he reacts,a nd then say, well, your doing it, why cant i?

8. papastew

papastew New Member

I love my little betta. He gets all excited when I come around the tank and he lets me pet his backside and actually glides along my finger when I feed him. I wouldn't try getting him to fight. It's wrong.

9. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

papastew, your betta sounds so cute!

mine is red with bits of iredecent blue.

iv had three over time.

My current fighter, Laurence is the only one to accept flake food, the others used to turn their nose up.

My fighter helps me with my flute playing coz its the same facial expression. hehe.

10. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

aww your beta sounds so cute. kinda like my angel fish, and my gouramis, i can hand feed the 3, when i walk into the room they come rushing towards the area that im at. you cant help but love them. even though they are huge!

11. bloodpain

bloodpain New Member

Honestly, if his point is to make the bettas fight to death, than he doesn't deserve to be in the fishhobby. But please note that bettas are born to fight in the while.. Humans have used selective breeding, making bettas less aggressive than ever.. In my humble opinion, I only support people who watch them in the wild fighting because thats their nature. However, I oppose those people whose main objective is to make them fight to death while they're in captivity. This is cruel and selfish.

12. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Come on now, "is poking your fish with a pencil alright," think about it now, who does that! Thats just sick and simply retarded! That is like me saying, "is it o.k for me to beat you with a stick or stabbing you with a knife so that you know how to fight." The answer is obviously, NO!

13. swtnpink

swtnpink New Member

yea, he hasn't been able to do anything with his betta since he got it because it wont eat. it's been about a week or two now =/

14. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What size container does he have the betta in and how often does he change the water?

-Chelle

15. OneWolvesDream

popeye, i like your icon. lol.

16. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Wow, it looks like OneWolfsDream is on a "posting streak" when I got to the forum his name was the only name going straight down the last post reply column! :eek:

17. OneWolvesDream

lol, yup thats what summer vacation does to you! :lol:

18. OneWolvesDream

lol, yup thats what summer vacation does to you! :lol: