1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Bigger Filter = Cleaner tank... but + stress?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by swtnpink, Jun 26, 2004.

1. swtnpink

swtnpink New Member

I've heard that getting a bigger filter for my tank was a bad idea because it'll increase the current in my tank and case stress for my fishes... is that true? If it is... than why is everyone suggesting to get a bigger filter to help with "cloudy" fish tanks?

2. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

im not quite sure about that whole stress thing, one reason why they could be saying that is because of currant in the water but for cloudy water and a filter get an aqua-clear filter to fit with the gallond in your tank

3. swtnpink

swtnpink New Member

what's an aqua clear filter?

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If you have bettas, then the strong current could bother them. But most other fish should be fine. I think the only time you can have too much filtration is if the current is plastering the fish against teh side of the tank.

Most of the time cloudy water is from bacteria bloom which occurs when a tank isn't fully cycled. However, it can also happen if you don't have enough filtration (meaning the water isn't circulated enough for the bacteria to be able to handle all the ammonia produced by the fish). In which case, another filter should help.

I have 2 filters on my 20 gallon for a total of roughly 350 gph. That's a 17.5x turnover when 10x is the recomended. All my fish are fine.

-Chelle

5. OneWolvesDream

its a brand of filter that clears your water. im not sure how well it works though iv never tried it

6. bloodpain

bloodpain New Member

Bigger filter would help to clean and clear ur water faster, and also more expensive.. Regarding the stress thing, perhaps its because of the current it produce, and by the way, some fishes don't appreciate currents, like betta, while some love them.. because its their natural habitat. Best of luck :p

7. swtnpink

swtnpink New Member

hmm, i don't think my filter is good enough for my tank becaue it only pumps 100 gallons per hour and I have a 18 gallon tank... meaning, i'd need a filter that runs 180 gph, huh? =/ *sigh* how annoying... you'd think when they say the filter is for a 20 gallon tank that it'll be more than enough for your 18 gallon tank :x

8. OneWolvesDream

the closer the filter gallons are to the tank the better. a 20 gal filter will have an effect but it is better hving that 20 filter then a 29 gal filter.

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Personally, I disreguard the tank size that the manufacturer recomends the filter for. One of the HOB filters on my 20 gallon is supposed to be okay for up to 35 gallons, but it only does 150 gallons/hour and by itself it wasn't enough for the 20 gallon which at the time wasn't very heavily stocked. And my canister filter on my 75 is rated for up to 150 gallons. It give my 75 a 4.2x turnover which is slightly above the mid-range recomendation for canisters (3x - 5x recomended). It would not be enough for a fully stocked 150 gallon.

If I do pay any attention to the recomended tank size for the filters, I generally go at least double the recomendation. ie, a 20 gallon filter on a 10 gallon tank or my 150 gallon filter on my 75 gallon tank.

-Chelle

10. swtnpink

swtnpink New Member

yea, thats what i did, i got a 40 gallon filter for my 18 gallon tank... the 40 gallon filter does 210 gph... which is a little more than I need, but it cant be helped... they dont sell filters that does 180 gph =) i just slow down the current flow a little to kind of try and get it about the right speed.

11. OneWolvesDream

t_chelle16 i guess that makes sence :? as for mine i have a 29 gal. in my room. the filter is a 30 gal. one i think. for mine i usually get the closest i can to the actual size. mainly because my fish freak when there is a currant. the most of a currant they like is made by my airator. the reason they like it is because they can swim againsed it going down but they get in a funny mood when there is a currant (bad one) also the other reason why i have the closest so there is no currant is because of my angel fish. as you know they are not that arodinamic (think the spelling is right) and she gets thown around with one