1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

birdie friend

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by catgrl8888, Apr 15, 2004.

1. catgrl8888

catgrl8888 New Member

Im going to be moving in a few months and when we move I will have more room for all the animals, so all their homes are getting upgrades! Im buying a large cage for my cockatiel, my question is, what is the maximum size it should be? I might not be home as often as I am now so I want him to have a good large area to play. That way it wont seem like a cage for him.

I was also thinking of getting him a bird friend. He doesnt like parakeets, so I was thinking of getting him a cockateil friend. will two males get along? I don't want a female, because I dont want them to breed.

Any advice would be great. This is the first time I 've had to move my bird, not to mention all the other animals I have! So any ideas on how to make this as stress free for both of us would be great!

2. scootergirl

scootergirl New Member

I just bought a cage off of ebay and was 110% impressed! It was brand new, shipped UPS and the seller was fantastic to deal with. As far as how big, I am not a 'tiel owner (budgie girl here) so I can't help you on that one, but wanted to suggest checking on Ebay for great deals for cages!

This was the one that I recently purchased. I researched online and also at pet stores in our area and saved ~$100! Total came to $114.00 with shipping!

This was the cage that I got :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46289&item=2385604330

3. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

HI the larger the cage the better the birds will need to be able to spread there wings fully without the wing feathers touching the bars.

2male cockatiels will get along but as with all animals a watchfull eye should be kept on them for the first few days to make sure there is no fighting.

Also for about 1-2wks it is adviced to keep the birds inseperate cages this is just to make sure the new bird is healthy and shows no signs of illness after this time they can be placed together some people will either introduce by placing them in the same cage others like to allow them to fly around for 30minutes together to see how they interact.

Either way an eye should be kept on them.
    mike

4. scootergirl

scootergirl New Member

I always followed the advice to buy as big of a cage as you can afford. You are right though, the bigger the better.

5. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Yeah! That's the best thing to go by!