1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Birds fighting is it ok?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by kuroiruy, Dec 23, 2004.

1. kuroiruy

kuroiruy New Member

Hi,
    I have 3 parakeets, 2 males (dark blue and aqua ) and 1 female. They been together for about 2 years and there weren't any problems. Recently, past year or so, one of the males (the aqua one) along with the female strted to bully the dark blue male. The dark blue one is very sweet and he kinda lets the other two walk all over him, but now they come to the point of bullying him out of the cage. Is that ok? I am not sure what I should do, I guess its their hierarchy in a way, but I really dunn't want the dark blue one to get bullied by the other two. Any suggestions?? :cry:

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Buster and Chick used to pick on Kiwi and Kiwi would never fight back. I moved Kiwi into his on cage and he was fine in their by himself. His cage was right beside Buster and Chick's cage so they could still talk to one another.

Since Chick is now gone and I just bought 2 new ones I have Buster and Kiwi in the same cage and they're doing fine together.

What you could try is getting a new cage (or borrowing one) and put the male and female in it, keep the bird that is getting picked on in the cage that you want to use and then slowly introduce the two into the other birds cage. This way they'll see it as his territory and not theirs.

3. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi one of the males will have to be housed on his own as when you have a few birds together there shuld always be more females than males otherwise when breeding season comes along your going to have fights if there is more males.

The risk of the fighting getting worse is high so the safest thing to do is put the male being bullied in a cage of his own.

Once they have been seperated only time they should ever be together is when they are all out of there cages and again once they are put back they should be put in there seperated cages.
    PLace the cages side by side this way they can still see each other but not get into a fight.

Mike