1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Black Hair Algae issue

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by drab911, Jun 12, 2005.

1. drab911

drab911 New Member

Hey everyone... My tank has been going for about 4 months now, and everything is perfect... a complete eco-system... my nitrates never rise above 5 and the other numbers remain at zero, due to my heavily planted tank...
    the only Issue I have is that black hair algae.. I have 2 otocats and 2 ghost shimp as well as a bunch of snails to help with the algae.. I have no green algae just this black stuff... didnt have much of it until I did my first very small probably a 10% water change... now one day later it has probably quadrupled...
    The guy at the pet store once told me that water changes help algae.. and i am now starting to belive him.. but do you guys suggest the cause of this algae?? and do you know a better algae eater out there or soemthign else I can do to control this... then everything is A OK.. thanks for any advice..

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'm having the same problem in my 10 gallon. Someone told me that it is generally caused by high nitrAtes or high phosphates and it is extremely difficult to get rid of.

-Chelle

3. drab911

drab911 New Member

It shouldnt be harmful to the fish or plants though should it? Like I dont have a REAL lot, just enough to be annoying.. I think your right about the phosphates i think thats why the water change escalated the problem...

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

It won't hurt the fish, but if it's on the plants, it could hurt them.

-Chelle