1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Blood in poop???

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by fridaylove, Jun 12, 2004.

1. fridaylove

fridaylove New Member

Hey there everyone...I just wanted to get some advice, words or something...I haven't posted since the old board...but this a.m there was poop on the floor...and it had blood in it.
    I am pretty scared right now and am hoping my 10month old kitty is ok. I've got a vet appointment at 4:00pm today, but I am freakin' out.

Hunter is a 10month old...I got him from a rescue organization he was hand fed (he had no mommy living). He's a picky kitty...wont use the litter box for poops if it's dirty, I even switched to using Yesterday's News Litter for him...he will meow before pooping and has always done this...now this morning, blood in the poop....

2. halaroo

halaroo New Member

I've never had this before, but since I have experienced emergencies with my cat several times, I just wanted to say I know how you feel. It's very scary not knowing what's wrong since they can't tell us how they're feeling. You're doing the right thing taking him to the vet right away. Good luck and keep us posted with the results!

3. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. I'm sorry about your kitty. Blood in the stool can be caused by a lot of different things. Some are serious and some are not. Just don't forget to bring the freshest stool sample you have to the vets. Most vets can work with a sample that is under 12 hours old. Let us know what the vet says. I wish your kitty all the best.

4. vene

vene New Member

I don't know much about kittens, but When my 18 month old was an infant at 3 months, he pooped bloody stools all the time. The pediatician determined that it was milk allergy. Extraneous straining will also cause bloody poop because their intestines are so tender. I hope the vet can find out what's wrong with your furbaby! When things settle down we would love to see pictures of Hunter if you have any! Good luck with the appt.!

5. fridaylove

fridaylove New Member

Thanks everyone... :)
    Hunter is ok...the vet said that since his blood in the stool was red, that it more than likely didn't have anything to do with the upper intestines or his stomache. I didn't have a stool sample so I've got to take one in this week. The vet gave me some special food...Purina>ER (it's for gastrointestinal stuff)...and some metroconizole (I believe that's how it is spelled) for a potential worm problem.

Hunter misbehaved at the vet, he wouldn't let them take his temp, and then I just asked them not to if it wasn't completely necessary and then he hissed at another tech...who was going to get a fecal sample. When the vet came in, he behaved better...she said his stomache felt good, she checked his anal glands although he got really angry at that point and was growling and hissing at her.

The plan is to use the food (to ease his bowels and tummy) and then the meds for a potential worm problem. I am to take the first sample I can get to them this week to analyze...and then we'll go from there. If the blood in the stools persists, then he has to go in and be sedated so she can truly check his anal glands (although they weren't externally swollen on friday)

6. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

hi fridaylove...my computer was crashed last week, so i have not seen all the posts. cant believe i missed this one, though, when i was catching up. this is something i am currently dealing with, although i believe that when i saw blood in max's poop, it was related to his diarrhea that he has had for three months. he doesnt have the blood anymore. he has been on a variety of medications. the blood was also very red like yours. i think it was because of the infection and all the straining. he was going about ten times a day. :shock:

anyway. keep us updated on hunter and how he is doing!

7. snowysunoui

snowysunoui New Member

Yay

I'm glad that Hunter is okay. But always remeber to give him, his heartworm, tick, flea, and all that good stuff, medication. Right now I can't remeber the names of the kinds but my vet gave me a really good one... Oh yeah! Frontline. Ask your vet about the one that protects you kitty-kitty from instestine (Sp?) parasites. I don't remeber the name, but :D keep us updated on your kitty-kitty!

8. fridaylove

fridaylove New Member

Yesterday, I was finally able to get a stool sample to the vet (one that I was sure was Hunter's)
    Got the results back and it loos good.
    Hunter finishes with his medication tomorrow night and I've got him back eating his normal food and not the Purina Vet Diet Gastroenteric.

Hopefully, we'll see no more blood in his poopies and Hunter wont be going back to the vet untill November when it's time for his shots again!