1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

blue lobster

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Crystal_M, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Crystal_M

Crystal_M New Member

can u put these awesome fish in a tank with a pleko or any other kind of fish for that matter?

2. needlefish

needlefish New Member

lobsters or crawfish will grab fish that go near it or around it and kill them. if i were u, i wouldnt get a lobster or crawfish with other fish.

3. Crystal_M

Crystal_M New Member

i thought that might happen, thank you for your help

4. needlefish

needlefish New Member

im just here to help

5. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

i have tons of crayfish that r in w/ fish and as long as they r fed regularly they do not kill any of my fish....

6. needlefish

needlefish New Member

could i get a lobster or crayfish with my cichlids?

7. figgy

figgy New Member

Crystal,

I would not recommend keeping one with a Pleco... Blue Lobsters are considered semi-aggressive & can make life miserable for any bottom dweller in your tank. Usually, they can't bother fish that stay off the bottom.

I wouldn't house them with small, or slow moving fish, but one should be okay in an African Cichlid tank, provided it is the only bottom dweller in that tank.

Blue Lobsters grow 5"-8", they are easy to care for, but they should not be kept in a tank smaller than a 30 gallon (IMO) provide lots of rocks & plants. They are very territorial toward their own kind, and will not tolerate each others presence.

8. Ken Walker

Ken Walker New Member

I bought an Australian Blue Lobster (crayfish) on November 25, 2003. It was about 2" at that time, and is about 6"-7" now. Crayfish are carnivorous, and will eat small fish and snails if they can catch them. I have lost a small Black Mystery Snail and a 1" Butterfly Pleco to Blue Boy since I got him. His Tank Mates since I purchased him have and/or still do include, 9" Common Pleco, 2" Bristlenose Pleco, 2" Sailfin Pleco, 1" Albino Pleco, 4- 3"Koi, Shybunkin, 3 Black Mystery Snails (now golfball size), 2 Golden Apple Snails (now about tennisball size), and numerous small feeder goldfish raised to go in the pond this summer. I have a 35 Gal. tank with flat rocks set up at the front of the tank so I can see Blue Boy when he is in his den. I also have a large peice of driftwood for him to climb on. I find that Blue Boy is just a little too slow to catch fish on his own (unless they invade his den and he can get them in a corner). I feed him pellets for bottomfeeders and invertebrates, but he prefers feeder goldfish that I wrap in tinfoil and stick in the freezer for about 15 minutes. I tied a length thread to a piece of lead. I pinch the half frozen feeder fish in between the lead and use the thread to lower Blue Boys dinner down in front of one of the 2 den entrances. Blue Boy Has moulted 3 times since I got him. When moulting crayfish require a den of some sort, as after they shed their old shell they are vulnerable for a couple of days until their new shell hardens. In my opinion Blue Crayfish are a nice addition to the tank. As for losing a fish or 2 during the transition, I have lost more fish due to fin rot, which I finally found was caused by a BULLY Sarassa that was picking on and stressing out the other fish.