1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

blueberry oscars question

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by papastew, Jul 27, 2004.

1. papastew

papastew New Member

I know tchelle the pro on oscars so I'll direct this at tchelle. Hey I bought a blueberry oscar the other day...... I didn't realize at the time that they were dyed fish until after I bought it. Please don't think I condone dying cuz I don't. But I have it anyways. The problem is that I have it in a tank with two other oscars(1tiger & 1longfin) that are about 4-5in long. The blue is only about 2in long. He wont seem to eat much. He just hides. I can understand this because of the intimidation of the other two. I have given them ghost shrimp because they will go into the small caves where he stays, but most get eaten by the two larger ones. Any suggestions? They are currently in a 55gal tank. I have a smaller 20galhigh but I am just starting to stock that with smaller more colorful fish.

ps I know that blueberrys do not usually last that long now but I would like to try to keep him as long as possible and as comfortable too.

2. Obelix

Obelix New Member

I kno this is for chelle but one quick comment, 3 oscars would proby be more comfrotable in a 75g. Anways good luck!

3. papastew

papastew New Member

You're absolutely right Obelix. That will be the next investment in the next couple months. I know they are ok though at this size....for now.

4. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

actually a 75 gallon is better suit for 2...a 100+ gallon tank would be good for 3 fully grown oscars...

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

He's probably still adjusting. It would be a really good idea to keep a close eye on him and watch out for illnesses. The dyeing process weakens their immune system.

Also, like everyone else said, a 55 is WAY too small for 3 oscars. You're really going to need closer to 150 gallons. Plus, in general, it's not a good idea to keep 3 oscars. There's a chance that 2 will pair off and they may end up killing the 3rd. Unless you can get a larger tank in the next 2 months, you really need to start thinking about returning some fish.

-Chelle

6. fishdude

fishdude New Member

why must such a horrible, cruel processe exist, why!
    if i could get my hands on those who dye fish id pound them into the ground! :x

i agree that you would need to have a larger tank for three oscars. why not buy a 75g for the other two and leave the "blueberry" oscar in the 55g?

7. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

:( you need to get a bigger aquarium 150 for all 3 or get a 75 and divde them up

8. papastew

papastew New Member

Thanks Tchelle...along with everyone else. Believe me I definitely know that I'm going to need a larger tank. Also Tchelle...CONGRATS on becoming a moderator. I posted it on the other topic but I thought I'd do it on this one too! :y_the_best:

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Thank you. :)

-Chelle

10. papastew

papastew New Member

Oh well. The little guy kicked the bucket today. He was noticabley thin in the stomach. He just got overwhelmed by the larger ones.

11. Heather&Nicole

Heather&Nicole New Member

So sorry to hear about your loss!

12. needlefish1

needlefish1 New Member

sry about that happening but what are u going to do?