1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Bluegill

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Fishkin, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

My Bluegill has a white trim all around most of his fins and his poop is white and stringy along with normal poop (I heard somewhere that means he has an internal parasite). How should I cure this and does anybody know what the disease is called with his white trim fins?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yes, it does sound like he has in internal parasite. I've never personally treated internal parasites so I can't recommend any specific meds based on experience. I would just look at the meds available and find one for internal parasites. I do like Mardel and Seachem products but I don't know if either makes a parasite med.

Is the white trim fuzzy? or does it just look like the color is bleached out? Did you ever find out what your water parameters where?

-Chelle

3. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

It just looks like bleeched out. OK and yes I FINALLY got the testers and tested the results :eek: . They are as follows...

pH: 7.8
    Alkalinity: 200
    Hardness: Very Hard
    Nitrite: 9.0
    Nitrate: 35

Yeah it's pretty bad I see but I got some pH Decreaser, Aquarium Salt, and ACE Ammonia Eliminator, and some carbon mixed with ammonia fighting tablets for the filter. Any suggestions? I put in Ick Attack with the pH Decreaser earlier today so I will test it in the morning.

4. tina1

tina1 New Member

Your pH is fine, don't mess with it. You REALLY need to work on that nitrite though, I don't think I've ever heard of a reading that high!

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

OMG! My nitrIte test kit doesn't even go past 5. Start doing water changes ASAP! Start doing either 3 or 4 25% water changes/day (with a few hours in between) or 2 50% water changes. You need to get that nitrIte level down. You didn't say what the ammonia reading was, but I bet it's way up there too.

From what I've read, that ACE Ammonia Eliminator and AmmoCarb remove ammonia rather than convert it to a less harmful form. Although they might lower the ammonia level a little initially, they will cause more problems down the road so I wouldn't use them. You'd be much better off removing the ammonia and nitrItes via water changes.

Your pH is perfectly fine so leave it alone. For most fish anywhere between 6 and 8 is fine if it's stable. You can cause some serious problems for the fish if you're adding chemicals and the pH changes rapidly.

And I'd recommend adding some aquarium salt (but only if there aren't any catfish in the tank). It will help fight the ich and it will also make it a little easier for the fish to breathe since they're suffering from ammonia and nitrIte poisoning.

So basically, start doing lots of water changes to get those ammonia and nitrIte readings down. Don't use any of the ammonia eliminator stuff, ammonia chips, or pH down. Add about 1tbsp aquarium salt (or kosher salt)/5 gallons.

-Chelle

6. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

OK I will get right on that! I already used some pH Decreaser though :roll: I have enought salt in their now along with the bullheads though (are they still considered catfish). How in the heck do I keep those nirtrite ratings down all the time?

7. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

OH BOY!

OH BOY wait till you hear the nitrite level on my 75 Piranha tank!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

the nitrite rating turned out to be.....13.0

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

You're going to be doing lots & lots of water changes for a while.

And yes a bullhead is a catfish. The problem with them and salt is they don't have scales so the salt can burn their skin. You can try leaving him in there just keep an eye out for signs of skin irritation.

-Chelle

9. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Holy jesus i dont have a test kit for nitrates maybe i should get one! i do weekly 10% water changes but still!

10. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Either way bryan i dont think yours is as worse as mine lol, our water is so screwed up its very hard, bad tasting and all that crap. I am just thankful there are ways of making it work lol.

11. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Im not bryan :lol: Im Matt

12. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

My bad :wink:

13. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

Lmao. lol. Well for the med you could to to your lfs and ask them for parasite med. usually they have that stuff on hand, also as t_chelle said you should work on that 13.0 level do water changes and get the lowering stuff cause this is way over.
    Also i thought that the tester kit wouldnt show over 5. :?

14. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

im bryan