1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Bonding To Other bIrds??

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by drab911, Sep 10, 2005.

1. drab911

drab911 New Member

Hey everyone, So I have now had my new parrotlet for almost 3 weeks now. He will not get onto my finger but he will eat out of my hand and I can get him to step onto a stick if I have millet on the end... I have a budgie cag e that I keep in the same room, but I ahve been worried that maybe this is hurting the bonding period... because everytime he comes out of the cage he stays on the budgie cage looking at them and wont come off..
    so today I put the budgie cage in my bedroom.. and the parrotlet seemed sad... he would not come out.. though he might have just been tired... do you think that this shows tha the is bonded to them? Is it a good idea that I keep the budgies in my bedroom while I take the parrotlet out uintil he is trained??
    and also do the budgies think that I am punishing them?? I hope not..
    thanks guys I just dont want him to bond with the budgies.. can they bond even without preening etc?? just by talking and seeing eachother??
    thanks

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Sounds like he has started to bond with them which is not a bad thing since you have already got him stepping up onto a stick.

They do not need to be in the same cage or preen each other to bond aslong as they can see and hear each other this will cause the bond.

Even if you had left them all in the same room chances are you would still have been able to teach him to step up onto you hand in time, Stepping up onto a stick or perch is in the birds mind safer so once he trusts your hand fully then he will step up onto that.

I always say put yourself in the birds place and think what would make you happy if you were a bird.

Mike