1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Bones is causing a problem - Updated- new problem!

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Ginger, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Ginger

Ginger New Member

Hello everyone! I've been away for a couple of weeks - Hope you all had a great Christmas!

Anyway..... Bones has been urinating in the house :? .
    Just to remind you of our situation.... They are indoor/outdoor cats so they do there 'business' outside (execpt for this occassion), and Bones is the one with Kidney Disease so this maybe something to do with it.
    Nothing has upset any of the cats, in fact they all seem happier than ever.

Bones has done this before in the old house we lived in, but we lived right next to a park at the time and there was a dog that kept chasing the cats right up to the door! We moved about 2 weeks after that and haven't had the problem since.

Its always in the same place, right at the bottom of the stairs, he's not doing it everyday maybe once a month for the past 3 months , there doesn't seem to be any pattern.

Would Kidney problems make him less able to control himself??[/i]

2. fridaylove

fridaylove New Member

Kindey problems would most definately cause a kitty to urinate in the house.

I had a CRF cat (indoor only), but she would rarely urinate in the box, she would poo in the box but not pee. She was good though and always went by the box. I had a rug there for her to pee on.

I can't remember the exact reasons why they do this, but it has something to do with the discomfort of urinating due to the high levels of toxins in their system.

As Jezzy got worse with her CRF...she would pretty much urinate anywhere. When she had her sub-q fluids, she did fine for about 2 days. I could always tell when it was time for the fluids by where she was urinating.

Good luck with the your kitty. It's tough having a CRF cat.

3. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

what kind of kidney problems does he have? Have you had him checked lately?

You might need to give the spot he uses a good cleaning to eliminate the odor. Using Nature's Miracle might help since it gets rid of the scent rather than just cover it. The WalMart brand I find is good too think it's called Out

4. Ginger

Ginger New Member

Fridaylove - Thankyou for the reply, I suspected that his kidney problems would be the cause of this problem, when I caught him doing it I told him off but not badly, he seemed to know he was doing wrong and I straight away thought this could be down to his kidneys rather than bad behaviour.

Mary - All I have been told is he has Kidney Disease, it was making his heart beat faster and he had a heart murmer, he has regular checkups and is due for one very soon, I am dreading it!
    There is no Walmart in the UK but I will find a similar product

5. Ginny

Ginny New Member

One of my cats (who is now in heaven) used to urinate in 2 different spots, and like your cat not all the time. Now and again I'd find a wet patch .. there were times he even did it whilst I was sitting in the room eating my dinner! I have no idea why he did it.

I did have a problem with another of my cats a few years ago with urinating in the house and I used Feliway which did seem to help a bit. It's not cheap, but may be worth a try?

Good luck!

Ginny

6. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

I just discovered WHY Copper was peeing/spraying the oven. I pulled out the drawer hundreds of times and cleaned under it. But a few days ago, I pulled out the OVEN itself and there was mucho dried pee along the sides that I couldn't get to! So he just thought it was an additional litter box area, I guess. My point here is that maybe you haven't gotten all of the smell out and that's why Bones keeps going in that place. What is the surface--carpet or wood or what? If it's carpet, that's a big job to remove that odor. I know people here have had success with the Nature's Miracle, but me not so much.

(I was so excited to find the source of that odor, but no one really wanted to hear about dried cat pee...) These felines continue to amaze me...often I think their behavior is just bad, but now I am realizing that there is usually a reason for it. It just takes me a while to figure it out.

7. Ginger

Ginger New Member

Yes the spot hes doing it on is a carpet like material, it actually a big fitted doormat! I expect its gonna take a LOT of cleaning before the cats can't smell it.
    I agree, theres usually something else besides bad behaviour causing problems like this.
    I'm thinking about putting a litter tray in the house to see if this helps, we will see if it does (fingers crossed)
    oh and I will have a look for this Feliway stuff - Thanks!

8. Ginger

Ginger New Member

Update - Rags is now causing a problem!!!!!!

I got in last night very late (been out working till midnight), I was just on my way upstairs to bed and thats when I caught Rags backed up to the wall spraying! right next to where Bones had his 'accident' :(

I shouted at him - NOOOOO! stop, stop!, STOP IT!!!! he looked at me like 'make me' :| and carried on! Then ran up the stairs! I shut him in a room alone while I cleared it up, he definatly knew he had done wrong, I could hear him meowing the whole time I was cleaning it up. When I let him out he had his head down and sculked past me, didn't come and sleep on the bed (which he always does).

He might have done it because he could smell the bit where Bones had been or it could be that Rags and Bones are having a dominace issue at the moment, I did catch rags erm... humping Bones the other day! I have been giving Bones more attension recently and Rags (my Baby) is probably jealous, hmmm I don't know whats causing it... but I'm not happy!!