1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Bones's allergies - Getting worse!

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Ginger, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Ginger

Ginger New Member

As some of you know Bones has had some allergy problems, I took him to the vet for his Kidney medication about 2 months ago and asked the vet about his legs, the vet diagnosed allergies.
    Last night he came for a cuddle in bed and he started biting at his legs because they itch, you could just tell by the way he was doing it that its really bothering him at the moment. When I had him at the vet he offered to give him a shot to help it calm down (for a few months at most) but at the time it wasn't to bad so I said no and have been trying ever since to find what causing it.
    Last night was the first time Bones has let me even touch his legs since these allergies appeared. I think the only reason he let me was because I was rubbing them for him to stop him biting them so hard, well he has quite a few lumps on his legs (just the front 2 legs, around the back bit from under his arm (leg) pit all the way down to his paws) it feels like insect bites and the area around each of these lumps is inflamed, some of these lumps are weeping a bit (from him over scratching), there are no infections or anything like that.

He is allergic to fleas - But definatly has no fleas
    I have changed the cat food, my washing powder, and cleaning products, I have an air purifirer on everyday to take out anything in the air that could be causing it, nothing has helped :(

He's due in at the vets in a week or two for his Kidney check up and blood tests and If hes not feeling better I'm going to get that shot to give him a break from it but it won't solve the problem and a few months from now its going to be the same. :?

I know I've asked before but if anyone has any suggestions about what it might be I'm prepared to try it out and see if it helps.

Also is there anything that I can wipe on his legs that might stop it feeling so annoying for him?

2. vene

vene New Member

Poor little Bones. I'm so sorry he has bad allergies. Maybe he has kitty eczema. My son has eczema and I'm not sure if this applies to kitties. But when he scratches, the lumps form and gets weepy. Scratching obviously relieves them when they itch. Our dermatologist recommended using Aquaphor lotion mixed with a strong dose of hydrocortizone, but not strong enough to cause side effects on infants. It has worked wonders. Maybe you can ask your vet if this might work. When my son gets super itchy, we apply calamine lotion. Do you use a humidifier? Might moisten his skin a little bit. Sometimes even using a moist paper towel to wipe down the itchy spots help quite a bit. Please keep us posted on his tests and condition. :m10:

3. Ginger

Ginger New Member

Good idea vene, I hadn't even thought it could be eczema, and that could explain why its getting worse.... the heaters have been on and they dry out the air which would make eczema worse! :roll:
    I don't have a humidifier but if it turns out to be eczema I will get one.
    vene you are a star! :y_the_best: , these are exactly the kind of ideas I need!

I will try just about anything to make him feel better, I know some days he feels a little sick because of his kidneys and I want him to have the best quality life he can

4. vene

vene New Member

:oops: We paid $300 to install a humidifier that is attached to our furnace knowing that it would help our son's eczema. It worth it not only for his skin condition, but we have no static shocks in the winter time! :mrgreen: Good luck with Bones!

You are one terrific meowmmy! :y_the_best: *Hugs to you and Bones*

5. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

what food is he on? maybe its the food. sometimes it takes alot of different foods to eliminate what ingredient may be causing it... even with some of the hypoallergenic diets...they could have an allergy to the ingredients...and maybe hes allergic to the kitty litter...maybe you could try something like yesterdays news...which is newspaper or the crystals. not pine or wheat, because those are allergans.... :0011:

6. Ginger

Ginger New Member

Lynn - I have been changing his food to see if this is what has caused it, there isn't really much choice in cat food here, we have Felix cat food which is what they were eating up to a few weeks ago, then I switched to Whiskers cat food.
    I don't really like them eating Whiskers because they all love it so much they end up getting fat (it happened before), if I give them whiskers they eat everything I put down for them and then harass me to feed them more (theres 5 of them and I think they work together on this so that theres always at least one cat meowing at me or running over the keyboard of my computer).
    Other than these to brands there are endless Supermarket 'own brands' that my cats are completly uninterested in.
    Oh yes I forgot to say, Bones has had quite a few teeth removed and doesn't like eating any dry food, even if I give him no choice in it and just put down dry food, he won't eat it and will come and gently chew on my hands to get my attension, he doesn't stop it until hes been fed what he wants - even if that takes days!
    If I could get him to eat dry food it would be great, for one he is prone to tooth decay, and secondly there are many different dry foods including hypoallergenic ones that I would rather he ate- like the others do.
    I guess I could look into making my own cat food, although its hard to find the time to do things like this its an option.

As far as the cat litter goes, my cats go outside for doing there 'business', we have a sand pit for them which they use, I have provided them with a indoor tray but they don't really use it unless its raining outside, I use the recycled paper litter in the tray.
    This has also made me think, sometimes Bones will 'go' in long grass, I've seen him try to bury it with grass..... can cats be allergic to grass? or the Sand???

Lynn - Great suggestions! This is exaclty the ideas I need - after all it could be anything.