1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Bonnie possibly has an aural hematoma?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Jamiya, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Hey guys - I know I haven't been here in a good long time (too much chaos to go into right now), but I have a question. Has any of you experienced something called an aural hematoma on your dog's ear flap?

Bonnie has a swelling on her ear. I noticed it yesterday (after all the vets had closed, and after I had already brought Tesla in that morning for a re-check - figures!). Earlier in the week we noticed she was holding it funny, but I couldn't find anything wrong with it. Now there is a swelling along the inside of the flap, near the base, extending up about 2 inches and about an inch wide. It may be slightly warmer than the other ear, but there is no redness and no sign of a wound or bite. It feels like it is filled with air, or maybe fluid. I figured she got hurt wrestling with Nala at some point, but I called the ER vet for an opinion and they said it could be something called an aural hematoma and I should call my vet early this week if it doesn't go away on its own.

Anyone ever have this happen? Any info you can give me would be appreciated. I love Bonnie's ears!!

2. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

I does sound like an aural hematoma, which is sort of like a big blood blister. They can get them from an accident while playing, scratching at the ear due to any number of things, or shaking their head a lot.

I've had a couple of dogs develop them over the years. They almost always need to be drained. Sometimes they have to put sutures through the ear to cause them to scar up and prevent the bleeding under the skin. That's a drastic measure, but it's probably no more drastic than going back to the vet to have the darned thing drained every couple of weeks.

3. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Hope got one after her head injury and Kabuki's had one from rough play. Hope's fixed itself with in about 3 days.. Kabuki's didn't, we had to have hers drained. they just studk a needle it it and let it drain. Then it went right away.

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Thanks, guys. I will keep an eye on it and call the vet in the morning. I am giving her some homeopathic remedies as well, so maybe it will go away.

How is everyone? It looks like you are having a rough time, Sams. I haven't been able to catch up on the posts yet, but it's good to see familiar faces!

I had a really hard year last year with my kitties. I lost one in June, and the other was very sick. Her kidneys got better, but then she developed hyperthyroidism. The vets wouldn't listen to me and she almost died, before I finally convinced them to let me have the I-131 radioiodine treatment done. They inject radioactive iodine which is taken up by the thyroid and kills the overactive tissue, and then the good tissue takes back over. She had it done in Feb. and is doing great now! She has gained back all her weight (9.6 pounds, up from 7 pounds in January) and her coat is full and lovely. She is 16 years old.

I have a little old foster now, too. He is a cockapoo, and I took him because he is 13 years old, his owner died, and the family chucked him in the shelter. A shelter is no place for an old companion like that. He is also totally non-reactive, so he hasn't been a problem with Nala. He was only in the shelter for a week, but he caught kennel cough while he was there and can't seem to get rid of it. I've had him for 3 weeks now, and the cough seems to start getting better and then gets worse again. I think he just needs time, poor little guy. He's terribly cute! He may have had a couple very small seizures last week, but I haven't seen any since them so I am hoping it was just stress.

5. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

I've never been lucky enough to have an aural hematoma resolve on it's own. They always need to be drained. One dog had to have a little drain placed in his ear for a couple of weeks, and he ended up with a cauliflower ear. I guess the good thing about them is they aren't life threatening.

Hope your dog has better luck than mine did.

We recently adopted a little mini longhair dachshund puppy from St. Francis Care Rescue. The so called breeder dumped him at the vet's office because he has a bad bite. The vet called St. Francis Care, and they brought him to the kennel where I work, knowing I wouldn't be able to resist.

His big brother, Olsen, has been busy teaching him to be a dog. And a good dog, at that. His lower jaw may only be half the length of the upper one, but it doesn't keep him from eating. Or chewing. He's a little devil, lol. But I love him to death.

6. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

My old Jake developed one and required surgery to remove the clot.

7. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Hey Jami!! Hasn't been too bad. Just the usual ups and downs of farm life. LOL

Leo our one year old male is just like that too. He's looking for a home, but he's just not active. He's more of a lover. I call him my substitute coffee table. he'll lay in the living room all day long, I swear i can put a vase of flowers on to of him, and it'll never spill! LOL

He only gets active when it gets cool outside and he knows its fixing to be dinner time. LOL

I think with Bonnies ear, you can try warm compresses too for 10 minute intervals. I can't remember if I did it with Buki or not, but With Hope, I'd wait til she fell asleep and then i had a warm rag over her head to help with it and it really seemed to help with the ear too.