1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Booger has been sick

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Cassie, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

My kitty Booger has been sick the past few days again. Her temp got to well over 104 (high for a kitty), she's been lethargic, sleeping all the time, moving/walking slowly (tail and head down), not eating, not pooping or peeing much, but been drinking water like CRAZY (she's only peed a 2inch square clump in her litter box in the past 12 hours).

She's had kidney problems in the past and it looks like it's a chronic thing. We took her to the vet today and they still need to do further tests to decide if it's just a kidney infection or a kidney condition but we already know the answer.

She's home now and resting. I had the pleasure of administering her first pill which basically means that I had to shove a pill down her throat. That was a hoot (NOT). But I finally found a way to do it. She growled at me for the first time but I got the job done. And then I had to give her mouth a squirt of liquid antibiotic. That went much easier.

[​IMG]

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

hope Booger improves. Have you tried Pill Pockets? They don't work for my cats but I know people who swear by them

3. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

I was going to pick some up today and give it a try but I doubt it will work because Booger is such a fussy eater. I have tried tons of different treats on her and there is only one that she likes. But I'll give it a try.

4. vene

vene New Member

Hope Booger will feel better soon. Big hugs.

5. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

Poor Booger. I hope she feels better, too. My daughter swears by the pill pocket but I've never tried them.

6. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

That's a great picture of her. I hope she gets well soon. Keep us posted. How old is she again?

7. halaroo

halaroo New Member

Just reading this now. Hope she's better soon. It's no fun giving pills to cats.

8. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

She's 5 years old. And on the upside, I no longer have to shove pills down her throat. The vet put her on a liquid med (thank heavens!)

Her vet visit went well today. Although she's improved, she is still quite sick and she's suffered some permanent kidney damage. Her kidneys were only functioning at about 10% last week. The vet put her on a kidney-friendly diet and said that since she's improved over the past few days (she's even gained a pound!), we'll wait until she's been on the diet for a week before running more tests. We discussed subq therapy and the vet assured me that it's not painful but she understands that it's more of a mental thing for the pet owner at first but she will guide me through it if it comes to that. But we won't know until next week.

Thanks for the well wishes everybody. :)

9. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Hugs to you!! hang in there. I had to do some subq fluids on Patches off and on for her kidneys and it is quite easy. Glad to hear that she is on the upward climb!! Adorable girl.

10. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

Well, she had more blood work and tests done yesterday. She's improved some but her levels are still not good. The vet gave her a powerful antibiotic shot and wants to see her in a month. The vet also said that Booger is anemic and wants me to feed her chicken livers as an occasional treat.

I got some livers today and attempted to cook them. I brought them to a boil in a mix of water and chicken stock, then simmered them for 30 min. Then I put them in the oven at 350 for 10 min, turning them once.

Well...Booger won't touch them. AARRGGHH

Does anyone have any other cooking suggestions? I'm at a loss here.

11. vene

vene New Member

I wonder if Booger would eat foods added with Pet Tinic vitamin suppliment.

http://www.petplace.com/cats/anemic-senior-cat/page1.aspx

Also Pro Plan makes chicken and liver canned food that Milo loves. Maybe it can be used as a treat for Booger. Petsmart usually have some good sales on Pro Plan every now and then.

http://www.proplan.com/products/ChickenLiver_WetCat.html

Natural Balance and Eukanuba may have higher quality chicken and liver entrees/canned foods than Pro Plan.

You may have overcooked the liver. Videos on how to cook livers for kitty:

http://www.ehow.com/video_2349423_cook-liver-kitty-heaven-cat.html

Hope this helps.

12. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

When the vet started telling me to feed her occasional 'good' protein foods, my eyes glazed over. I said "please, just tell me a brand name food" and she said that Booger needed a special type of protein and then pushed the chicken livers on me. She said to just broil them.

When I got home, I got confused, did she say broil or boil? And she didn't say how long. Arrghhh...this is killing me. Not to mention how freaking gross handling and cooking the liver was. It smelled so bad! Well, to me. I'm not a liver fan at all.

Well since yesterday, Booger began gagging/trying to throw up. She's done it 6 times since yesterday. 4 of the times, it was a clear/foamy consistency and two of the times, it was pretty respectful sized hair balls. She's also become a bit sleepy and sluggish but she has times when she walks around with her tail up in the air.

I will phone the vet today but in the mean time I did some online research and vomiting can be a side effect of either the antibiotic they gave her (Convenia), Chronic Renal Disease, or just hairballs. I add hairballs because she's always had a problem with them so we kept her on Purina One Hairball Remedy food. Anytime we had to switch her off it, she would start hocking. Well, the Vet put her on a kidney friendly food so she's been off the hairball remedy food.

It's a crapshoot at the moment. It could be any of the three. But she is definitely nauseous. She was hard-core going after my window herb garden last night. She ate a little parsley. I doubt it helped her stomach much but at least it's packed with vitamins. But she seemed more focused on getting at my strawberry plant and lucky bamboo though.

And please don't worry, I am very careful about what plants I keep in the house. I always make sure they're kitty safe.

When I asked about particular store bought brands, my vet was pretty specific in stating that Booger needs to avoid anything that is in store bought brands. They all have things in it that could worsen her progress. She insisted on natural protein. Boo was in pretty bad shape a couple of weeks ago, she was literally at deaths door and suffered kidney damage.

I've become crazy about watching her behavior. Cats are so good at hiding when they're sick (it's instinct, they hold a bold demeanor to stay off predators). When you see a cat become sluggish, overly sleepy, neglects grooming, too weak to jump up on their usual perches, they move around slowly with tail hung low...then you've got a VERY VERY sick cat on your hands even if they are eating and drinking like a champ. Behavior like that is loud siren.

But I know that I don't need to tell you that. I just add that for others that may not know. My hubby didn't know and thought I was crazy for getting worried when she first began eating her litter but seemed perfectly fine and healthy. That was two years ago and we caught the problem in time. She suffered no damage. This time we both missed the ball and it cause her irreparable kidney damage. I am so ashamed and sad that I missed the signs this time around. It won't happen again.

But I felt it important to mention here so that other cat owners will buck up and watch for the subtle signs. As soon as you see them, take you kitty for a check up. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take your kitty for a check up if you even have the slightest doubt.

I'll keep you all updated. Thanks so much for the love and support. I totally love, respect and thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

13. halaroo

halaroo New Member

I'm sorry you and Booger are going through this. Please stop blaming yourself though - it doesn't do anyone any good, and I'm sure Booger doesn't blame you for any of it! Give her a hug for me.

14. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

How is Booger doing, halaroo? I hope she is feeling better. (((hugs))).

15. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

Booger seems fine but she's anemic and the Vet wants me to buy/cook chicken livers for her to eat. "All cats love chicken livers". NOT

Booger won't eat them.

She get's a bit sluggish now and then but still likes to play. She goes back to the vet in about 2 weeks.

Thanks for the well wishes. I really appreciate them.

Hugs!