1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Book Review: Dog Owners Veterinary Handbook

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by gypsy, Nov 7, 2006.

1. gypsy

gypsy New Member

Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook, 3rd Edition. By: James M Giffen, MD & Liisa D Carlson DVM. Howell Book House/Hungry Minds.

While i like the 'net, when i am rushed, stressed, or it is the middle of the night, and i need to know NOW! i prefer books. Have quite a collection. This is the latest, and i can highly recommend it to just about everyone. Being me, i am reading it straight thru, and it is highly readable, very well organized, and goes well beyond the general 'dogs get fleas, puppies get colic, this is a broken bone, these are vaccines" etc. It is divided up into the basic parts of anatomy: intestines, skin, reyes, nose, ears, digestive, respitory, nervous,skeletal,urinary, as well as a very detailed chapter on whelping, neonates, and breeding. Has a good comprehensive section on cancers, and emergencies. There is also a geriatric section, and the section i really liked was the medicine section.......gives dosages for aspirin, benadryl, and the like.
    I would like more pictures, and more line drawings. But this is definitely a good book to have on hand for just about anyone, novice to veteran.

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Great book, especially for vet techs that havent been on the job long enough to have got their heads around all the technical jargon. I have the 1st edition.
    I have to say one thing though, a little criticism....sorry.... theres a saying "just enough information to be dangerous in the wrong hands". While it is a great book its not for everyone, you do need a basic understanding of your dog, theres a lot of dog owners around that know about as much about their dogs body/system/needs etc as I know about the engine of a Porsche....which is zilch. Some things are better left to the professionals.
    Theres nothing wrong with not being clued up about your dog, your dont have to be a dog expert to have a dog, if you fall into that category of people then maybe the book is good to use as a general guide and to educate yourself a little but like I said leave the medicine and prognosis to the professionals.

Sorry hope that didnt offend anyone, I just call it like it is.

3. gypsy

gypsy New Member

None taken, i agree with you totally. For me, i like to have an idea if it is an emergency vet trip, or can it wait until morning. 'Course, i work in a docs office, so i find all this stuff fascinating.........