1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Boston puppy - snorting issue

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by dawnreger, Apr 27, 2005.

1. dawnreger

dawnreger New Member

I have had by Boston, Chelsea, for about 6 months now. She has always snorted and snored as Bostons do, however lately, she has started snorting very loudly, and for long periods of time, almost like she might be having difficulty breathing. Do anyone have any suggestions or comments that might help me?

2. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

Is she reverse sneezing? My dachshund does that and so does my Mom's pomeranian and the vet said it's ok--just to calm them down. They usually stop when they calm down. But I would ask your vet--he can probably imitate the sound for you to confirm that that's what it is. It sounds scary though.

3. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

While it does sorta sound like reverse sneezing, also called post nasal drip syndrome, I'd have the vet check things out. You could be dealing with a foreign body in the sinus (pups are SOOOO good at sniffing things up their nose) or an upper respiratory infection.

Reverse sneezing sounds worse than it is. Quite often there's an allergy to blame, and you may need to track that down. Other times, it's just the way the dog's face is built, and is pretty common in short faced dogs like Bostons.

4. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Bostons have an elongated soft palate, sounds like it might be that and it can become worse as they get older, if its to the point where its stopping her breathing, or interferring with it have a vet check her.

5. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

Hmmmm, my dog's face certainly isn't SHORT lol. The nasal drip thing makes sense though. And she most often does it when she eats too fast which is often.