1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Breed info page

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by goob, Apr 10, 2004.

1. goob

goob New Member

2. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Goob I am so glad to see you back on!
    I havent seen ya in a while. Starting to miss reading your always informative posts.
    Welcome Back!

3. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

It sounds like a good idea to me! What an idiot! There is a wrtie us section and one to send pictures.

4. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

I guess this person has been reading the local rag and and falling into the myth of " The Powerful Jaws" thing. Blah, Blah, Blah! Like, wake up and quite watching the "Animal Planet" and see what these dog are all about. From what I've seen in the media, a lot of parents aren't fit with their own kids.

5. goob

goob New Member

She/he responded to an email they got from someone else, and it does appear that they have good intentions in providing information on their site, though they obviously haven't researched many of the breeds they cover. That means there's a chance that this could be turned around, if enough people voice their concerns.

Gina, I've been around, just not posting much... we're finally starting to have some decent weather here so I've been out with the dogs much of the past few weeks :)

6. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

Well, I emailed them, and a woman emailed me back stating:
    Maybe it will help even more if more people email them.

7. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

I wrote them this email:
    Hello,

I was just on your site and decided to look up the American Pit Bull Terrier. Being an owner of this immaculate breed, I love to hear other postiive things people say about them. What I found on your site for this dog was nothing but garbage and lies. I can't believe that you would allow such rubbish to be printed about a dog that was once considered a poster child for the American people.

I trust my Pit Bull around children more than my 4 lb. chiuaua dog. The APBT may have once been bred for fighting, but that is no more, unless you consider the scum of underworld dog fighting to be the majority voice over this breed. APBT's are the most loyal of any breed I have ever come to know and trust. Yes, APBT's can be dog aggressive, but so can any other breed out there. If the dog is properly socialized there is less of a chance it will become dog aggressive. In temperment testing, the APBT ranked as one of the highest dog and is one of the most intellegent usually averaging around 78%. There are ABPT working dogs. There is one named Popsicle that is a drug sniffing dog. The police found him almost frozen to death in a freezer during a drug raid,they nursed him back to care, and now he helps fight the bad guys.

They do NOT have the highest incident for human attacks. Most times the media will typecast a dog attack to a Pit Bull, but it can be any breed. There are over 30 breeds of dogs that are commonly mistaken for the APBT. Misconceptions like the ones you have put on your web site are exactly the reason people have so much fear and hostility towards this breed. It is slander like that which makes the drug lords and other criminals feel good about owning this dog and abusing it so much. And it is this reason it is one of the most abused dogs in America. Over breeding by the wrong people have ruined the good name of the APBT, and what you put up on your web site does not help the situation at all. There are good people out there that work very hard to help this breed and to educate the public on responsible ownership on this breed. In 3 sentences you have taken years of work, and education and thrown it all away.

It saddens me that such uninformed people would put up a web site about dogs. Who knows what other breeds you may be ruining the name of from your misunderstanding of it. This link has been emailed to many others, and this will hopefully not be the last letter you receive until the information is changed.

If you do however need proper information to carry onto your website regarding the APBT, I know many loving and VERY knowledgable people that would be more than happy to help you.

Thank you,

I wonder if she will reply to all that write her. I am sure I could have added more info and stats, but just wanted to see if she would first respond.

8. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

I find this to be rubbish.

Here is what I have written but not sent in.

I am a concerned owner of American Pit Bull Terriers, I'm concerned because the info given about the APBT is incorrect and I don't want more misconception to be spread to those who may visit the site. Pit Bulls are
    Very people oriented dogs who love attention. They are prone to seperation anxiety usually mild, but some can be severe. They just love people! They are a willing dog looking for love, but can be very stubborn and out right determined. At the same time they are sensitive to scolding.

APBTs can become dog-aggressive. Many co-exist with dogs they live with but won't except strange dogs. Others must be separated from same sex dogs. They may go after small animals too. But dog aggression and human aggression are totally seperate. These dogs were created for dog fighting and had to be safe around the handler and their children at home. The dogs may become really worked up towards one another but would never turn on a handler to get at a dog, they are seperated during the fight without harming the handler and after the fight they are given medical treatment in which they don't bite the handler. Most other breeds will bite when seriously injured out of pain or fear, Pit Bulls will take it and are trustworthy in these situations. If not they were culled to keep from reproducing like dogs who would be a potential danger. At home the dogs were with the family in some cases slept in the childs bed. One of the most famous Pit Bull is probably Petey from the R'Gang TV series. He was a gamebred Pit Bull who was also dual reg. as an AmStaff. He was a APBT and the AKC had just started reg. their own version. He was one of the best dogs around kids, like most Pit Bulls he loved kids and was a true ham. I can say I trust these dogs with children as I have seen them with kids, seen my own dogs love for children and raised around them myself.

The Pit Bull is ideal as a family dog, indoor is best. The owner must be willing to provide exercise and responsibility. They are a versatile breed, original purpose is outlawed now bred for/excel at weight-pull competition because of strength/determination, out pull larger dogs. Uses personal protection, fly-ball, agility, police-work, herding, search & rescue, hog hunting. Not the best for multiple dog homes unless an experienced owners.

i was thinking about sending some pics too. Not sure which though. One is with a 2 1/2 cuddling a pup, another is an adult Pit Bull being handled in by a child, the last is two gamebred Pit Bulls near eachother and food with and a child having his arms around one! These should show them being good with kids, pics say 1000 words right? And then most people don't think game dogs can be near eachother either. Lots of people think they are the worse breed for kids.

I'm not sure yet, I need to do a little editing and decide on a pic or more than one pic.

9. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

I think you should send it in. A pic of an APBT with a child would be perfect, tell them they can use THAT pic. for their site. I found the AmStaff info to be off aswell, but I wasn't going to write twice.

Makes you wonder how much wrong info is on their site regarding other dogs. Talk about miseducating the public.

10. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

Well, just so everyone knows what I wrote to them, here ya go:

11. jrbuddha

jrbuddha New Member

[​IMG]
    While feeding my daughter, my "vicious" dog came up and put her head on my lap and took a nap.
    [​IMG]
    and a quick photo op, too good to pass up hehe.

12. Angie

Angie New Member

AWWWWW!!!!!!!!!! That is so sweet! :)
    I hope you sent that to as many people as you can that seem to think badly about Pit Bulls!
    Thanks for sharing!

13. ZenasMom

ZenasMom New Member

jrbuddha: That is too cute!!!! I am glad to see pictures like that! I wish they could be posted everywhere so all of the people who think the APBT is vicous would see otherwise! A vicous dog would not let a baby lay on them! Great pics!!!! Hope to see more pics like this!

14. Meg04

Meg04 New Member

AWWWWWWWW!!!! What a great picture, Im so glad you posted that. :D