1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Breed of the Day!! Cane Corso Italiano

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by bullylove1, May 15, 2004.

1. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

BURGWALD KENNEL

Description
    The Cane Corso Italiano is a medium-big size dog, strongly built but elegant, with powerful and long muscles, very distinguished, he expresses strength, agility and endurance. The general conformation is that of a mesomorphic animal whose body is longer than the height at the withers, harmonious as regards the form and disharmonious as regards the profile. The Muzzle is very broad and deep. The width of the muzzle must be almost equal to its length which reaches 3.4/10 of the total length of the head. Its depth is more than 50% the length of the muzzle. Due to the parallels of the muzzle sides and to the fullness and the width of the whole jaw, the anterior face of the muzzle is flat and square. The nasal bridge has a rectilinear profile and it is rather flat. The lower side profile of the muzzle is determined by the upper lips, the suborbital region shows a very slight chisel. The stop is very marked because of the very developed and bulging frontal sinuses and because of the prominent superciliary arches. The neck is slightly arched. The neck shape is of oval section, strong, very muscular. The body is compact, strong and very muscular. The skin is rather thick. The neck is practically without dewlap. The head mustn't have wrinkles. The pigment of the mucous membranes is black. The pigment of the soles and the nails must be dark. The coat is short hair but not smooth, with vitreous texture, shiny, adherent, stiff, very dense, with a light layer that becomes thicker in winter (but never crops up on the covering hair). Its average length is approx. 2/2,5 cm. On the withers, the rump, the back margin of the thighs and on the tail it reaches approx. 3 cm without creating fringes. On the muzzle the hair is very short, smooth, adherent and is not more than 1/1,5 cm. Color - Black, plumb-gray, slate, light gray, light fawn, deer fawn, dark fawn and tubby (very well marked stripes on different shades of fawn and gray). In the fawny and tubby subjects there is a black or gray mask only on the muzzle and shouldn't go beyond the eye line. A small white patch on the chest, on the feet tips and on the nose bridge is accepted.

Temperament
    Very loyal, willing to please and quiet around the house. The Cane Corso is highly intelligent and very trainable. Active and even-minded, he is an unequalled watch and protection dog. The Cane Corso Italiano is great with children in the family. Docile and affectionate with the owner. They are protective yet gentle. The Cane Corso has a very stable temperament. It makes an excellent guard dog and watchdog. It will not wonder from the home. They stick close to their masters. If necessary he becomes a terrible and brave protector of people, house and property. The Cane Corso is not a fighting dog. They were bred as working dogs for hundreds of years. Therefore they will not go out "looking" for a fight, but on the other hand they will not back down from other dogs. The Cane Corso requires an experienced owner. It can be aggressive with strangers and other dogs. It should be carefully socialized when it is a pup. It is highly recommended that these dogs become fully obedience trained. When fully trained, the Cane Corso makes an amenable companion. Suspicious of strangers, but wonderful with the family. It will usually put up with strangers if the owners are present. When raised correctly, the dog should be submissive to all members of the family.

Height, Weight
    Height: Males 24-27 inches (64-68 cm.) Females 23-25 inches (60-64 cm.)
    Weight: Males 99-110 pounds (45-50 kg.) Females 88-99 pounds (40-45 kg.)

Health Problems
    This is a robust dog, with typical bone and joint problems of the giant breeds.

Living Conditions The Cane Corso will do okay in an apartment if it gets enough exercise. They will be content to live outdoors provided they have adequate shelter.

Exercise
    This very athletic breed needs a lot of regular exercise. They make excellent jogging companions.

Life Expectancy
    About 10-11 years.

Grooming
    The Cane Corso does not require much grooming. Occasionally comb and brush to remove dead hair. This breed is a light shedder.

Origin
    The Cane Corso Italiano is the original Cane Corso breed. It originated in Italy. Its direct ancestor is the "Canis Pugnax" (the old Roman Molossian) of which he is the light version employed in the hunting of large wild animals and also as an "auxiliary warrior" in battles. For years he has been a precious companion of the Italic populations. Employed as property, cattle and personal guard dog and used for hunting purposes too. In the past this breed was common all over Italy as an ample iconography and historiography testify. In the recent past he has found a excellent preservation area in Southern Italy, especially in Puglia, Lucania and Sannio. His name derives from the Latin "Cohors" which means "Guardian", "Protector".
    Group
    Mastiff
    Recognition
    FCI, NKC
    [​IMG]

2. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

I tag Samsintentions to do the breed of the day tomarrow!!

Any breed you guys want, just try to get a pic up there aswell!!

I am not usually on here on weekends. My home computer has a virus we are trying to get worked out. So I can only be tagged week days, but I am sure there are TONS of people who want their fav furbabies advertised!!

3. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

Hi Bullylove,

great idea... I am already looking forward to the next breed of the day. Maybe one day I can take a turn at it.

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Ok. I've got breed of Day for Tomorow!!!

Lets take a vote.

Which breed of dog would yall like to see for tommorow?

5. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

DOGO ARGENTINO

6. dogangel

dogangel New Member

:D Rhodesian Ridgeback. I don't know a lot about these guys, and they look very handsome and fit to me.

7. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

YAYY!!! I was hoping you guys would like this! :eek:

Abbeysmom- I bet if you PM Sam, she'll tag you for breed on Sunday!!!

8. Samsintentions

I'm intrested in the Dogo's too! I'll try that one!

9. GinaH

GinaH New Member

I came across an article about an Aussie Bulldog but there were no photos I would love to learn about them and see photos.

10. nern

nern New Member

This is gonna be fun. :eek:

11. Samsintentions

OMG!! I'm soooo sorry. I went for my walk Saturday morning, and was thinking about my DOG OF THE DAY!, and what ran out from the ditch......8 PUPPIES! SOme one must have dumped them either the night before or early that morning. They left a blanket with them, and the puppies were terrified. One has no hair on a big patch on his face. And these aren't little puppies either. They are like 10-12 weeks old, and about 20 lb a piece!!!
    Yall I'm soo sorry. I had no time Saturday. I promise to make it up to all of you!

12. Sara

Sara New Member

My bad... I posted in haste with my own breed of the day this morning... I hope you can forgive...