1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Breed of the Day (Tuesday)

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by bullylove1, Jun 2, 2004.

1. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Okay, here is the breed for today. Hadn't seen it in a couple of days so tought I would just throw one up here. I love Shephard dogs.

Description
    The Shiloh Shepherd's overall appearance is rather heavy. The Back is broad, strong and solid. The head is broad and noble, slightly domed and in proportion to the body. The width and length of the skull are approximately equal with a gently defined stop, strong developed cheekbones, and a gradually tapering muzzle. The muzzle should be predominantly black, the length being equal to that of the forehead, with the lips firmly fitted and solid black. The muzzle should not be long, narrow, or snipey in appearance. Both upper and lower thighs are well muscled. The tail is quite long and thickly covered with dense hair hanging down like a plume. The coat comes in two varieties: smooth and plush. The plush coat is medium-length with a dense undercoat and has a distinct mane from the neck to the chest. Hair should not be more then 5" (12 cm) in length. The smooth coat is thick and medium-length with the outer hair being harsh to the touch.

Temperament
    The Shiloh Shepherd is very similar to the German Shepherd dog except it is bigger, has a sounder temperament and better hips. The breed club promotes temperament testing and issues certificates for individuals which it considers to be neither fearfully shy nor dominantly aggressive. Although the Shiloh is still relatively unknown, it makes a nice companion dog. They are a very intelligent, courageous and self-confident dog that will willingly protect its family, yet it is friendly and a good companion to its friends and family. Makes a good guard and watchdog. Shilohs have tremendous loyalty and courage. Calmly confident, but not hostile. Serious and almost human in their intelligence. They have a high learning ability. Shilohs love to be close to their families. They should be trained and socialized from an early age with a firm and loving hand.

Height, Weight
    Height: 28-30 inches (71-76 cm.)
    Weight: Males: 100-130 (45-59 kg.) Females: 80-100 pounds (36-45 kg.)

Health Problems
    Hip Dysplasia

Living Conditions
    The Shiloh Shepherd will do okay in an apartment if it gets enough exercise. They are relatively inactive indoors and do best with at least a large yard. It has an all- weather coat and will do well in cold as well as hot climates. They can live outdoors but would be much happier inside close to their owners. Be sure they have plenty of water and shade on hot days and proper shelter in the winter.

Exercise
    The Shiloh Shepherd loves strenuous activity, preferably combined with training of some kind, for these dogs are very intelligent and crave a good challenge.

Life Expectancy
    About 12-14 years.

Grooming
    The coat comes in two varieties, smooth and plush. The plush coat requires regular brushing to keep it clean and tangle free. The smooth coat requires minimal grooming. This breed sheds bits of hair constantly and is a seasonally heavy shedder. A quick daily brushing is best unless hair in the house is not a problem. They should be bathed rarely, only once or twice a year to avoid skin oil depletion.

Origin
    A lady had been breeding German Shepherd Dogs since the 1960's. She was active in conformation shows as well as Schutzhund, etc. In the 70's she set her standard back to the old style, very large type Shepherds. She spent the next decade pursuing her goals for the old style Shepherds. In 1990 she separated her breed from AKC and started to maintain registry records as Shiloh Shepherds. The International Shiloh Shepherd Registry, Inc. was incorporated in 1991. Due to disagreements within the ISSR other registries were formed. In 1998 the ISSDC Registry was incorporated and is now the USSDC. At this time, there are four separate Shiloh Shepherd Registries NSBR, SSBA USSDC & ISSR.

Group
    Herding

Recognition
    NSBR, SSBA, USSDC/R, TSSR, ARBA, ISSR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the article I read the breed is kinda like this. It is the ORIGINAL German Shepherd dog that was bred in 1962. BUT, since the size, weight and look of the dog has changed since then, a dog bred now that looked like the old GSD's could not be named that. Hence the Shiloh shepherd.

2. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

And I Love You! :eek: Did you read one of my previous posts where I said that I REALLY wanted a Shiloh and that almost no one I know has ever even heard of them? I did some research on them and on Breeders (as well as the King Shepherds) and stopped dead in my tracks when I found out they were like $1,700.00!!!!! :cry: So, I got Sarge, good ole' German Shepherd, and I am so glad it turned out that way (still pine for a Shiloh though!) GREAT BREED OF THE DAY!

3. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Thanks Sarge's Mom.

I didn't read your other post, BUT I do LOVE shepherds, and as a kid was fascinated with Germand Shepherds, always wanted one. Which baffled my mother because she has a serious fear of dogs. (Yes, even though she has a Lab).

Anyways, I was just looking and came across the Shiloh. They are VERY rare. There isn't even that muuch info if you do a search.

Glad i could make your day.

*whispers* When are we gonna get some pictures........

4. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Well, I am trying to get my sister in law to download some pictures as we speak. So, hopefully this week???? [-o<

5. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Great breed of the day!

6. honeybears

honeybears New Member

There was one at my shelter last week that kind of looked like the tan one. the dog had thelong hair and it was big, I head never seen a GSD like it

honeybear

7. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

who did you tag for today???

I suggest dukes dad!

8. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Sorry! Forgot to tag someone.

DUKESDAD!!! You've been sitting quietly back, now its time for you to show off a breed for the day!!